Chances of getting into Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DavidG504

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Junior at Tulane University applying to LSU dental in June and wanted to know what your stats were.
Here are mine
School: Tulane University
Year: Junior
Major: Neuroscience with minor in Public Health
Residency: LA
GPA (science, overall) sGPA: ~3.6 GPA : ~ 3.745
I have two W's, one in Gen Chem I and one in an intro English class
DAT: ___ have not taken but will take in January for first time
Clubs: President of the Pre-Dental Society, Member in Neuroscience club, arabic club, captain of intramural team
Shadowing: over 200 hours at 3 different general dentists' clinics

This current semester is not looking too hot for me right now. I am taking Biochemistry, Physics I, Cellular Neuroscience, Intro to Drama, Acting. May be my lowest GPA semester, and I may even get a C in one or two classes. My biggest concern is how important it is to have a consistent GPA during Junior year if I kept a 3.745 my first two years. I am scared that my GPA this semester and maybe next semester will drastically hinder my chances of being accepted. Also, will my two W's come off as a red flag? My dream school is LSU.

Thanks for all of your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Why do people post chance me threads.. especially without DAT scores? Try the search function.

Reactions: 2 users
Need a DAT score to chance.

Don't think the W's are a big deal, but you're going to want to get good grades in upper level classes. Admissions probably doesn't like downward trends.

Try to buckle down this semester, and be positive about it! This semester isn't over yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
keep your head up.. don't give up so easily... I don't know what your circumstances are, but I am sure you can recover! good luck!:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently a Junior at Tulane University applying to LSU dental in June and wanted to know what your stats were.
Here are mine
School: Tulane University
Year: Junior
Major: Neuroscience with minor in Public Health
Residency: LA
GPA (science, overall) sGPA: ~3.6 GPA : ~ 3.745
I have two W's, one in Gen Chem I and one in an intro English class
DAT: ___ have not taken but will take in January for first time
Clubs: President of the Pre-Dental Society, Member in Neuroscience club, arabic club, captain of intramural team
Shadowing: over 200 hours at 3 different general dentists' clinics

This current semester is not looking too hot for me right now. I am taking Biochemistry, Physics I, Cellular Neuroscience, Intro to Drama, Acting. May be my lowest GPA semester, and I may even get a C in one or two classes. My biggest concern is how important it is to have a consistent GPA during Junior year if I kept a 3.745 my first two years. I am scared that my GPA this semester and maybe next semester will drastically hinder my chances of being accepted. Also, will my two W's come off as a red flag? My dream school is LSU.

Thanks for all of your help!
I know that we can't chance you without the DAT scores but I can def tell you what you should do to improve your app in other ways. And no! I have two W's and two C's and I have interviews so don't worry too much about that! Well, like always, keeping a good consistent GPA is a good thing. However, I had a relatively bad (3.1) junior year semester and seems like they don't really care as long as you're other semesters and overall GPA's are still competitive! You have a broad range of extracurricular which is good. I suggest you try to take up some research opportunities and academic enrichment, as well. I think those two things really give you an edge at times when you compete with applicants of a similar caliber to yours. Hopefully you rock your DAT. Also, if the semester comes out bad you can always take summer classes (I'd always take 5) to recover! Play your cards smart.. do some unique extracurriculars this summer (enrichment, research) and you should be quite competitive.

Goodluck!
RS

Just finish strong your senior year and kill the DAT, you will be fine.

What do yall think about my chances?

Major: Biology
Minor: Business
Science GPA: 3.8; Overall GPA: 3.87
DAT: 23-AA; 18-PAT