MD & DO Chances of Getting Into NC Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXVoicesXx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a second year (but junior credits) student studying in North Carolina. I originally started school as a biology major with a pre-med concentration with intents on going to dental school. I didn't do well. I changed my major over the summer to psychology. However, I still want to go into medicine, but more so as a psychiatrist. I realize that I love psychology but I still have strong interest in medicine. I looked into requirements for just medical schools in NC and they're doable, but I'm worried that my previous performance is going to hurt me.

My overall GPA is a 3.2, my science GPA is a 2.3 (one general biology and two general chemistry, both with labs) and I withdrew from one biology.

I have five C's in various classes. My overall performance in school is improving because I have a better grasp on college, the rigor of classes, and how I need to study/approach them.

I still really want to do medicine and I feel like I have some hope but I don't know how strong it is. I still think about going into medicine almost every day and I would love it if I could become a psychiatrist instead of just a psychologist. How likely am I to be accepted to a medical school here in North Carolina if I take the requirements, study for the MCAT, and find a decent internship?

Members don't see this ad.