General Admissions & OTCAS Chances of getting into OT school after applying this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureOT24

Reaction score
Hey everyone! This is my first time posting here so I apologize if I did not post in the correct place. I was wondering if anyone would care to evaluate my stats and judge if I would be a competitive candidate for OT school. I am applying this summer for the 2020 application cycle. I live in NJ so I am planning to apply to OT schools around the area: Stockton, Kean, Thomas Jefferson, Salus, Temple, Alvernia, Columbia, and maybe a few others. Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.68
Pre-Req grades-
A&P I: A
Abnormal Psych: A
Intro to Psych: A-
Statistics: A
Lifespan Development: A
Intro to Sociology: A-

I am taking A&P II this fall.

My GRE scores are: (Many of the schools I am looking at do not require GRE, but some do).
154 V, 147 Q, and 5.0 AW.

Observation hours: about 132 hours total
35 hours in Home Health for older adults
50 hours in skilled nursing facility for older adults
20 hours in outpatient pediatric clinic
20 hours in school pediatric setting
7 hours in children's hospital

Volunteer/Job Experience:
For over 2 years, I have been working as a respite care provider for a child with nonverbal autism spectrum disorder.
Volunteered to do activities such as bingo and trivia at a nursing home for four months.

I am extremely worried due to the competitive nature of OT schools and I would be very disappointed if I did not get in anywhere. However, I am trying to keep realistic expectations. What are my odds for being accepted into a OT program in the NJ/PA area when I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats, prereqs, and observation hours look great!
Honestly, I would be surprised if you didn’t atleast get an interview at most of these schools. You did really well in school, and on your GRE. Your observation hours are in many setting s which is really good for you to be able to talk about in your interviews. Overall, i think you are a very conpetitive applicant!! Just try your hardest, write a personal statement that reflects you as a person and you kbebyourself in your interviews! Dont stress too much- I know it’s easier said than done. But on paper, you look great, and many other applicants (including myself) got into OT school with stats that were not as good as yours!

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats, prereqs, and observation hours look great!
Honestly, I would be surprised if you didn’t atleast get an interview at most of these schools. You did really well in school, and on your GRE. Your observation hours are in many setting s which is really good for you to be able to talk about in your interviews. Overall, i think you are a very conpetitive applicant!! Just try your hardest, write a personal statement that reflects you as a person and you kbebyourself in your interviews! Dont stress too much- I know it’s easier said than done. But on paper, you look great, and many other applicants (including myself) got into OT school with stats that were not as good as yours!
I appreciate the reply!

Reactions: 1 user