Chances of getting into Vet School, specifically University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prevet305fau

Reaction score
Hello everyone, im currently a sophomore and I'm having a very tough semester with organic chem 1. I need to ace the final to end the class with a B and if I get anything lower I will end the class with either a B- or a C. Will a grade like a C or B- kill my chances? Along with my full time class schedule I work two jobs part time, about 20-25 hours a week at times, along with the student government position i have as well. In mu other classes I have As and a B so far this Semester. Along with my tough schedule, i have had a lot of life issues going on this semester such as roommate issues that stressed me out for half the semester and I got into a car accident at the beginning of the semester so it was hard to focus when I had to argue with insurance and adjusters and the person who cause the accident for about a month and a half. All in all, I would like to know if vet schools will take all of this into account when they see i got a C, or a B-/B in organic chemistry 1 as I work as a vet tech abiut 10-15 hours a week and I work at Ross for about 10-15 hours a week along with my student government postion. I currently have overall about 700 hours of Veterinary experience, about 600 of those with my vet tech job at an avian clinic. The other 100 are exotic and small animal. My overall science GPA right now is 3.7 I think. my overall.gpa is 3.80. I got a B in chemistry 1 and an A- in chemistry 2 along with an A in Biology 1 and a B+ in Biology 2. In the chem labs I got an A and A- respectively, for orgo it's looking like I'll get an A in the lab. For biology labs so far I got an A and an A-. The B+ and A- last semester happened while I was working one job as a vet tech.

Members don't see this ad.

One B- or C will likely not sink your application if it's strong in other areas, which it sounds like it probably is.

I doubt schools will be sympathetic to roommate issues and arguing with the car insurance company.

Those things are indeed stressful, but they're also kind of common life issues that a lot of people deal with at some point (at least on the roommate front). In my opinion, it's better to just own that you had a rough semester, move on, and try to show an improvement in subsequent semesters. It happens to most people, and it will be ok.

When it comes time to apply, I would not include student government as part of an excuse as to why you weren't able to do as well in a class -- vet school is all about juggling many, many competing interests at once. You can expect most other applicants to have similarly demanding extracurriculars and work-study on their applications, so it may look as though you aren't able to prioritize effectively in the face of many demands on your time, or are looking to offload the responsibility for a drop in performance onto circumstances instead of just owning that it was a challenge for you. Organic chem is hard. It's ok to admit it was hard, say you had some personal difficulties that may have made it even harder, and leave it at that. Challenges like this are an opportunity to demonstrate how you respond to adversity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users