Chances on getting into good Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iris Z L

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, other students, I am a senior UC Davis undergraduate student major in Biology and moved to the US 4 years ago with my parents from China. GPA 3.68 PCAT preliminary is 88%. I had many work experience and volunteer experience in clinic and hospital also did research for about 3 years. My favorite thing is culinary art when I have free time. My number one choice is UCSF. And I am struggling my PS and supplemental essay. Would someone give any ideas on writing those essays and my chances to get into a good pharm school( like top 10)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What are you struggling with? Anything in particular?
If not, answer the questions honestly, always phrase things in the most positive way, and try to use a formal essay structure (ie. intro, body, then conclusion).

What are you struggling with? Anything in particular?
If not, answer the questions honestly, always phrase things in the most positive way, and try to use a formal essay structure (ie. intro, body, then conclusion).
I am just not satisfied with the my current personal statement. And some people told me I did not say me good enough. But thank you for your advices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest really making your personal statement not be a list of your accomplishments but to pick a few out and describe why they were meaningful. In the extracurricular activities section you only get about a sentence length to talk about it so if something meaningful happened during the time you were a volunteer or during your research I would pick just one moment. Try not to just list what you already wrote in your extracurricular portion.

I would suggest really making your personal statement not be a list of your accomplishments but to pick a few out and describe why they were meaningful. In the extracurricular activities section you only get about a sentence length to talk about it so if something meaningful happened during the time you were a volunteer or during your research I would pick just one moment. Try not to just list what you already wrote in your extracurricular portion.
Yes. I think I did so. I just submitted my application in PharmCAS yesterday. But thanks a lot.

Are you planning to enter hospital pharmacy after graduation?Some residencies only take US citizens
For now, I am thinking about working in hospital after graduation in pharmacy. But may change in the future. Thanks.

With that kind of GPA, you should go for PA or med school instead. Pharmacy is saturated and getting worse each year, and about 70% of the jobs are in retail.

With that kind of GPA, you should go for PA or med school instead. Pharmacy is saturated and getting worse each year, and about 70% of the jobs are in retail.
well, I tried med school before. However, it might be too stressful for me then I switch to pharm.

well, I tried med school before. However, it might be too stressful for me then I switch to pharm.

Computer science is also an excellent choice. It is less stressful, can pay just as well as pharmacy if not better, and provides excellent job prospects and work conditions (compared to retail pharmacy) without you having to spend an additional $200k+ on tuition.

i think you will have a great chance to get in :)

However ucsf really does emphasize on interview skill or speaking skill. There were only two student in our class are ESL. I am one of them.

You just have to really prepare for your interview.

Reactions: 1 user
i think you will have a great chance to get in :)

However ucsf really does emphasize on interview skill or speaking skill. There were only two student in our class are ESL. I am one of them.

You just have to really prepare for your interview.
I see. Thank you so much. I will do my best.

I see. Thank you so much. I will do my best.
Pm me if u have any question.

Make sure write a good essays too.ucsf sometimes can care less about number etc gpa and pcat. They care more about your interview skill and essay. One of essay they emphasizes on is the question about humanity

Pm me if u have any question.

Make sure write a good essays too.ucsf sometimes can care less about number etc gpa and pcat. They care more about your interview skill and essay. One of essay they emphasizes on is the question about humanity
haha, I think so. That is a tough question. I will try my best though my writing is not so good.

Good luck on the application process. UCSF does look at applicant's overall picture (way beyond GPA and scores). Thus, the essay, interview, situation responses, and extracurricular matter a lot. We use to joke around about the "human condition" essay questions. I think no one will ever be satisfied with their essay because no one really understand the human condition cus it can be anything! I agree with the advice to not list your resume and pick topics that are meaningful and tell a story that answers the prompt.

As for pharmacy prospect, there are lot of negativity about the satuation and such of too many pharmacy school and I completely understand. However, I always say, if there is 10 jobs and 11 people applying, you can be the one that doesn't get a job but if there are one job and 10 people applying, you can be the one who get it. Everything is based on the individual so just work hard and do what you love because that will show. I would advice you to specialize if you can. You say you want to work in hospital but that could be a outpatient dispensing, inpatient, ambulatory care or clinical. Some of these and probably by the time you graduate, residency might be desirable to really go far in pharmacy, be more competitive and hopefully find a niche in pharmacy you enjoy.

I am a pharmD who worked in a health plan and now in large pharmaceutical company in the field of Health Economics & Outcomes Research. Most people in pharmacy never even heard of this but that's what I mean. Open you eyes and explore everything you can do with a PharmD and not put your head in a sand and worry about the job market that you cannot change. First thing first, get into a good school you think will help you along this path.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck on the application process. UCSF does look at applicant's overall picture (way beyond GPA and scores). Thus, the essay, interview, situation responses, and extracurricular matter a lot. We use to joke around about the "human condition" essay questions. I think no one will ever be satisfied with their essay because no one really understand the human condition cus it can be anything! I agree with the advice to not list your resume and pick topics that are meaningful and tell a story that answers the prompt.

As for pharmacy prospect, there are lot of negativity about the satuation and such of too many pharmacy school and I completely understand. However, I always say, if there is 10 jobs and 11 people applying, you can be the one that doesn't get a job but if there are one job and 10 people applying, you can be the one who get it. Everything is based on the individual so just work hard and do what you love because that will show. I would advice you to specialize if you can. You say you want to work in hospital but that could be a outpatient dispensing, inpatient, ambulatory care or clinical. Some of these and probably by the time you graduate, residency might be desirable to really go far in pharmacy, be more competitive and hopefully find a niche in pharmacy you enjoy.

I am a pharmD who worked in a health plan and now in large pharmaceutical company in the field of Health Economics & Outcomes Research. Most people in pharmacy never even heard of this but that's what I mean. Open you eyes and explore everything you can do with a PharmD and not put your head in a sand and worry about the job market that you cannot change. First thing first, get into a good school you think will help you along this path.
Thank you so much for your advices. I think I will do residency after graduation. Hopefully, I could get into the school. But what you just said is pretty helpful.

Reactions: 1 user