Chances? (though alot of you are sick of answering these :P)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phuuma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just thought I would add a "what are my chances" thread for you guys to throw your collective knowledge at.

I am a senior Biology major with a Chem. minor and a Psych minor. Overall GPA is a little above 3.5 and science closer to 3.6. My freshman year let me down there, since then been 3.7-3.9 every semester, hopefully the admissions guys will notice that. MCAT scores are not in yet as I took it in August, but I should score around a 28-30 based on all my practice tests (around 11-12V, 9-10B and 8-9P). The part I am anxious about is my clinical and professional experience. I never worked in a hospital, no clinics, and no research. My hospital at home would not let me work, the hospital here near my school is so packed they won't take any volunteers even. I had one lead with a Cardiologist, but I had to have my school sign a multi-million dollar policy on me, which they would not do. The only medical related experience I have is working in a pharmacy these past 3.5 months. While I know this is not a hospital, not clinical or anything like that, I did have a lot of patient contact. Granted I wasn't giving them a diagnosis, but I still had to talk with upwards of 200 sick people each day. I also feel I got to see a side of medicine that not many see. It is amazing how many people are not satisfied with what their doctors tell them and come into a pharmacy seeking the counseling a caring physician should have given them. Anyway...that's the extent of my experience? Do I have a shot? I am only applying to a few schools, one of which is ECU (other schools include UNC and Wake), which has average GPA of 3.5, MCAT's of a little above eight for each section. They say they place a high emphasis on recommendations as well and I have several so...(but then again doesn't everybody) Just a couple more things. While I don't have much experience, I haven't been idle these four years at college. I participated in intercollegiate athletics for two years at the varsity level, did some tutoring, lot of work around campus in the biology department (none of which was research, mainly caring for equipment, lab prep etc.) Well that is about it, not worried about my interviews, I do very well in those. Just worried about getting that far. Sorry to be so long winded. Any responses appreciated!!
:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, now is NOT the time to stop looking for volunteer experience. If it can't go on your app, it can go into your interview. Look for a VA hospital around. They WILL let you do something important. And it is, of course, too hard to give chances with only MCAT estimates. Come back in a couple of weeks. :)

Thanks for the input. I will look around and see what I can find. I hadn't thought about the fact I could talk about it in an interview :p Oh, and just to get an idea, say I made a 29 on the MCAT. What do you think? :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
You most definitely have a shot. Not everyone who applies to medical school has clinical experience. I had none. Honestly, the "clinical experience" one has access to as a premed isn't necessarily enriching anyway...

Don't sweat it. The major thing is to have an answer, both to the interviewer and to yourself, as to "why you want to be a doc?"

Your numbers are there.

Best of luck!

--a random 3rd year

I don't think you should apply. I would work on getting more clinical and raising your MCAt. My roomate was on the admissions committee here at UCLA and he said he doubted any school would let someone without any clinical in. I was actually in the same case of having no clinical and no research two years ago and didn't get a single interview out of 30 schools. I would definatley take time off to improve your application.

Your question is a relative one. It all depends on where you apply and whether or not you are in-state or not. It is the whole package that counts and not just MCAT scores and grades. Clinical experience is a definate plus. For some schools once you get an interview you are on an even plane with the applicants being interviewed.
good luck.

Did you make a case for your pharmacy patient contact in your personal statement? It's close to clinical experience. You probably know about health insurance and problems people have with prescriptions. If they ask you about clinical experience in your interview stress this patient contact. They just want to know that you have a realistic idea of what you're getting into. I agree that you should try to find some other volunteer work if you can--did you try hospice? And don't worry so much! If you've already applied, just wait and see. It may just work out. :)

Originally posted by Jalbrekt:
•I don't think you should apply. I would work on getting more clinical and raising your MCAt. My roomate was on the admissions committee here at UCLA and he said he doubted any school would let someone without any clinical in. I was actually in the same case of having no clinical and no research two years ago and didn't get a single interview out of 30 schools. I would definatley take time off to improve your application.•

Just for the record, I have also been involved in admissions, in interviewing, etc. I will repeat: CLINICAL EXPERIENCE IS NOT NECESSARY. Really. I didn't have it. I got in!!!! It's a plus, but exp. with patients in a pharmacy may be okay too!

don't EVER listen to anyone telling you not to apply to medical school. if you want to apply, regardless of what people tell you your chances are, YOU SHOULD APPLY. If i had listened to my advisors, I would never have applied. If I had posted here, people would have told me not to apply. Now, I am a successful 3rd year, I was admitted to my first choice school on my first try, and I'm in debt.

Well, that last thing may not sell my point. But whatever.

Best of luck! And to everyone who wants to know their chances: YOU'LL ONLY KNOW WHEN YOU APPLY!!!!!!!!!!! So go ahead and ask people, but DON'T take anyone's word as the gospel (my own included!)

I know someone who had a 3.8 and a 33 from a quality state school who didn't get in anwhere because she had no experience clinically. Just thought I'd throw out a reference to let you know that it may not always be neccessary but in my experience it comes up as one of the 4 major things (the others being mcat, grades, and letters). In fact, I would submit that quality clinical or research experience might even help to compensate for lesser mcats or grades. In the end there is no magical formula...just things you can do to help your chances and clinical experience is a plus.

I had my first interview today...it went very well. My opinion is that numbers do count, regardless of what schools say. In terms of rolling admissions, those with higher #s get accepted first and others are revaluated as time goes on and hopefully pushed up closer to being accepted.

Thanks again for the input guys. And yes I did make a big point of my patient contact in my personal comments on the AMCAS. Basically that was all I wrote about for the entire page. I told them about the things I was able to see wrong with the healthcare system such as Medicaid and other health insurances. Also talked about the patients that I had contact with everyday. Personally, my pharmacy work may not be on par with hospital work, but I think it is better than research. In my opinion anyway. And as far as the schools I am applying, all in state schools (one private in-state) One is 99% in-state students, another has not admitted an out of state student since 1991 :p Plus, several people from my university have gone there and done very well. *fingers crossed*

Enough of the cookie-cutter med school applicant! Instead of comparing yourselves with other applicants, feel great about your own application. How does it look to YOU? Do YOU feel that you are ready? If you feel you are not, then don't apply. If you are then GO FOR IT and don't worry about that guy with 40 experiences (you know who you are ;)) that might have the 4.0 gpa and 40 MCAT or the guy with NO experiences and the 3.0 GPA and 30 MCAT that's a fourth-year med student...it's all about you.

A big part of pursuing a profession with high responsibility requires you to have much confidence in yourself and in your decisions. Have confidence in yourself or you may never be succesful in a career where you get to call the shots, especially if we are talking about somebody's health. Before you apply and interview make sure you feel confident and strong about your chances because you really need to sell yourself to adcoms since nobody will do it for you. I don't have much clinical experience either (about 6 months total) but I am confident about what I could bring to a school and about my desire to be a physician.

I really appreciate the comments guys, especially the last two. You guys are exctly right. I know that I will be a great doctor and have the confidence in myself to make the decisions necessary. Just have to hope the adcom's see it the same way :)