Chances Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtk45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker here, first time poster. M3 at an unranked American MD school interested in going into anesthesia. Step 1 score - 232. A big red flag on my app is I failed the internal medicine shelf on the first go round. Passed my surgery clerkship with no problems with a 83 on the shelf and my IM evaluations from residents and attendings have all been great. I did not find the IM shelf particularly challenging but had a personal issue on the day of the shelf that led to me not finishing on time and leaving many unanswered questions. Passed the shelf the second time but my transcript will show my grade as "marginal pass" since I failed the first time. Unfortunately no matter how well I did the second time and my great evaluations the highest grade I can get is a pass due to failing the first performance. Surgery and IM are the only two rotations I have had so far. We have anesthesia as an elective rotation available 4th year. Wanted to know if the marginal pass on IM will greatly hurt my chances at matching? And any advice on what I can do to increase my chances? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just explain. You'll match.

Get a good Step 2 score (50% internal medicine-based). Problem solved.

I also wouldn't apply in a place where the PD is IM-boarded. :)