Chances? Went to two universities, two gpa figures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreatWish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I have a somewhat confusing situation because I have two transcripts.
Quick background: I did the Running Start program, finished an AA-DTA degree at a community college. Then, I transferred to a private 4-year university, currently a senior.

At my community college my gpa on completion of the AA degree was 3.78.
Now I'm nearing the end of my time at the 4-year, and the best I can hope for is a 3.1 +/- 0.1. I had a rough start in the first year, but have shown significant upward trajectory since then. The 4-year transcript does not include the grades I received from my community college, so I can't tell if I have a chance or not.

Do medical schools take into account all undergraduate transcripts and pool them into a single gpa figure? I will be taking the MCAT for the first time shortly after I graduate next year. I intend to score 30+ and will have two or three years of research experience at the time of my medical school application.

Thank you for your time and thoughts, they are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Every college class you have ever taken is counted by AMCAS and AACOMAs in your GPAs. So yes the courses you took at the CC will count. How many years did you spend at the four school? I can't tell if it's two or more.
You do know that the MCAT scoring changed a few years back and 30 isn't a score. Study hard because the MCAT is a beast and lots of people "intend to score 30+".

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your reply and for the information, it was very helpful! I'll end up with four years at the 4-year. Sorry, my mind escaped me on the 30. I've been looking into Postbaccalaureate programs as well, though I've heard mixed reviews as to their benefit. I was thinking about taking 2-4 years off to do one of these programs and to get more lab/work experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you would benefit from a 1 year post-bac, it would boost your GPA, and give you time to work in a lab, volunteer (both clinical and nonclinical), and shadowing which are important factors when applying. Ideally you would get near to straight A's in your post-bacc and apply after your post-bac, so during your glide year you would continue to work in a lab hopefully get on a publication.