Chances with Low GPA high MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmk092

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a chemical engineering student (getting a minor in BME) at the Cooper Union, a small vocational school in Manhattan. For those not familiar with it, it is a free school with a harsh grading policy. Cooper has an excellent reputation in the NYC area, while few people outside of the tristate area have ever heard of it. While there are some easier classes, most of the courses do in fact curve to a C (and a few notorious ones sometimes have averages below that). As a result, I have a phenomenal science background with a not so great gpa. I took the MCATS and got a 35 no sweat (12,11,12) but my gpa is hovering around a 3.5 (and my science is like a 3.2, its kind of grey since which engineering courses constitute science is a little open to interpretation). I have also recieved 2 Cs to date (Orgo 1 and 2). I will have one semesters worth of volunteer experience, and a summer of shadowing. I have two research projects I started in the fall; one of which is completely self motivated and may have some promising results come the end of the year.

My angle is neurology. I did my shadowing at the National Parkinsons Foundation(University of Miami, Im from Florida), and my research project will involve the study of cultured neural networks (with possible relevance to Deep Brain Stimulation). But as Ive already mentioned, I have a low gpa coupled with Cs in orgo (hoping the MCAt will offset that a little) and not all that much EC. I have one semester left, and I honestly cant see myself being able to pick up my grades that much (I might be able to get a 3.6). Our Dean has mentioned in the past that he sends out letters to medical schools explaining Cooper Union's rigorous grading policy, but I don't know how much that will help. So, lay it on me, what are the odds.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, your MCAT is very good.

Second off, your GPA isn't THAT low.

What schools do you plan on applying? I'm pretty positive with your stats you can find a med school to attend...Other things than GPA and MCAT factor in as well.

That is something I'm considering right now, but I'm definitely applying to the Florida state schools (University of Florida, University of Miami, University of South Florida, and Florida State). My gpa isn't by any means bad, but it seems to be one deviation below average for most schools, and as I said, as of yet I don't have any standout ECs (discounting the off chance that my research project produces some ground breaking results that get me in Nature and on the cover of Time).

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I'd agree with the first poster. I don't think your GPA is that low at all (well compared to my gpa :p). With effort, I know you will be able to get in to a medical school :)

Just keep doing what you are doing so far!

I am a chemical engineering student (getting a minor in BME) at the Cooper Union, a small vocational school in Manhattan. For those not familiar with it, it is a free school with a harsh grading policy. Cooper has an excellent reputation in the NYC area, while few people outside of the tristate area have ever heard of it. While there are some easier classes, most of the courses do in fact curve to a C (and a few notorious ones sometimes have averages below that). As a result, I have a phenomenal science background with a not so great gpa. I took the MCATS and got a 35 no sweat (12,11,12) but my gpa is hovering around a 3.5 (and my science is like a 3.2, its kind of grey since which engineering courses constitute science is a little open to interpretation). I have also recieved 2 Cs to date (Orgo 1 and 2). I will have one semesters worth of volunteer experience, and a summer of shadowing. I have two research projects I started in the fall; one of which is completely self motivated and may have some promising results come the end of the year.

My angle is neurology. I did my shadowing at the National Parkinsons Foundation(University of Miami, Im from Florida), and my research project will involve the study of cultured neural networks (with possible relevance to Deep Brain Stimulation). But as Ive already mentioned, I have a low gpa coupled with Cs in orgo (hoping the MCAt will offset that a little) and not all that much EC. I have one semester left, and I honestly cant see myself being able to pick up my grades that much (I might be able to get a 3.6). Our Dean has mentioned in the past that he sends out letters to medical schools explaining Cooper Union's rigorous grading policy, but I don't know how much that will help. So, lay it on me, what are the odds.

My stats are similar to yours, and I have a similar background (engineering, research heavy), if you'd like to see how someone similar is doing in the application process.