chances with mediocre step 1

Started by MinitorV
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sorry to revive this thread from several months ago, but a lot of posters seem to be saying that Radiology is becoming less competitive. Will someone please elaborate on why this is/may be the case? Longer hours? Declining salaries? Less need for radiology as a field moving forward (i.e. w/ the development of automated image-reading software or something)?

Thanks!
 
It was overhyped 4-8 years ago because there was a fantasy that one would make an untold fortune in a 9-5 job.

The market was a bubble and inevitably corrected. Government reimbursement cuts and new trainee oversupply exacerbated the problem.
The hype corrected after a bitter backlash when the fantasy was revealed to not be reality.

All though this radiology has remained radiology, and remains a challenging and rewarding profession. I don't regret choosing it at all.

The business end of medical specialties fluctuates. Radiology is too difficult to automate at more than a very basic level. Choose a specialty based on more than the current economic climate so you can weather inevitable downturns in the cycle.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, osteopathic student with a 230 usmle step 1. How important is taking step 2 in the long run? It would be nice to match into a university program, and I am working hard to improve my score...but I'll be grateful to match into any program. I just don't want to run the risk of scoring lower than step 1. I have to take comlex level 2 regardless but wasn't sure what the best strategy was. I already have my step 2 date set and as of right now I plan on taking it. I was talking to another 4th year who said I didn't need to and after that I got all confused!! Haha