chances with mediocre step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry to revive this thread from several months ago, but a lot of posters seem to be saying that Radiology is becoming less competitive. Will someone please elaborate on why this is/may be the case? Longer hours? Declining salaries? Less need for radiology as a field moving forward (i.e. w/ the development of automated image-reading software or something)?

Thanks!

It was overhyped 4-8 years ago because there was a fantasy that one would make an untold fortune in a 9-5 job.

The market was a bubble and inevitably corrected. Government reimbursement cuts and new trainee oversupply exacerbated the problem.
The hype corrected after a bitter backlash when the fantasy was revealed to not be reality.

All though this radiology has remained radiology, and remains a challenging and rewarding profession. I don't regret choosing it at all.

The business end of medical specialties fluctuates. Radiology is too difficult to automate at more than a very basic level. Choose a specialty based on more than the current economic climate so you can weather inevitable downturns in the cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Choose a specialty based on more than the current economic climate so you can weather inevitable downturns in the cycle.

I think that's great advice. Thank you! +1

Last edited:
Hi all, osteopathic student with a 230 usmle step 1. How important is taking step 2 in the long run? It would be nice to match into a university program, and I am working hard to improve my score...but I'll be grateful to match into any program. I just don't want to run the risk of scoring lower than step 1. I have to take comlex level 2 regardless but wasn't sure what the best strategy was. I already have my step 2 date set and as of right now I plan on taking it. I was talking to another 4th year who said I didn't need to and after that I got all confused!! Haha