Chances...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amanda1029

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 2.9
sGPA: 2.7
masters degree GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 29 (9P 9V 11B)

I have done research for the last 6 years, I work as a research tech & TA, have tons of community service, will begin doing clinical volunteer work soon, ~50 hours of shadowing 3 different physicians, good LORs.

I want to apply in the northeast, since this is where I'm from, so: PCOM, UNECOM, LECOM, Rowan, NYCOM, and Touro-NY.

Think I have a shot...?!

Members don't see this ad.

I have done research for the last 6 years, I work as a research tech & TA, have tons of community service, will begin doing clinical volunteer work soon, ~50 hours of shadowing 3 different physicians, good LORs.

I want to apply in the northeast, since this is where I'm from, so: PCOM, UNECOM, LECOM, Rowan, NYCOM, and Touro-NY.

Think I have a shot...?!

I think you have a very good chance at LECOM. However, Rowan has a very high IS preference, PCOM is super competitive , and NYCOM has high IS preference. I don't know much about UNECOM or Touro-NY. You definitely need to add more safety school.

Think I have a shot...?!
I was told by UNECOM that 90% of this years interviewees were from the new england or northeast region. Hope that gives you an idea of their bias.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by UNECOM that 90% of this years interviewees were from the new england or northeast region. Hope that gives you an idea of their bias.

I'm from CT and am going to grad school now in Philly. Maybe that'll help me a little.

I'm from CT and am going to grad school now in Philly. Maybe that'll help me a little.
Your MCAT is 2 pts above UNECOM's avg, while your GPA's are lower than UNECOM's avg's (3.5cgpa, 3.4sgpa). If you can get your GPA's to ~3.1'ish I'd say you have a solid shot there.

Hmmm... Honestly, I think your shot would be better if you retook a few science courses to bump those GPAs up a little.

Reactions: 1 users
Your MCAT is 2 pts above UNECOM's avg, while your GPA's are lower than UNECOM's avg's (3.5cgpa, 3.4sgpa). If you can get your GPA's to ~3.1'ish I'd say you have a solid shot there.
Lisa Lane actually said that they expect this years average to be about a 29 mcat and ~3.6 gpa. So the MCAT is fine and the gpas need a boost.

If I were in OP's shoes, I would retake science classes over the next year. I would apply early next cycle to have a better chance at more schools. Personally, I'd be nervous applying with < 3.0 cGPA and sGPA even with that gGPA. The MCAT is fine.

Are you an URM?
What's your graduate degree?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not an URM. My undergrad is in chemistry and my grad is in pharmacology. There's no way I can boost either of my GPA's... all of my classes are already taken :(

I'm not an URM. My undergrad is in chemistry and my grad is in pharmacology. There's no way I can boost either of my GPA's... all of my classes are already taken :(
Did you calculate some of those pharm classes into your sGPA?

You can GPA boost by retaking specific classes that you got low grades in as a non-degree seeking student at another university, or at your original university.

Why can't you re-take some classes then? It does wonders

Applying with a sub 3.0 is a huuuge gamble easily overcome by a year of retakes. It's better to have at least a 3.2.

Don't waste time, retake classes until you're above 3.0. , 3.3 to be more competetive.

A 2.7 is below the 2.75 cut off. You are as such ineligible to apply to the vast majority of schools. My recommendation will parallel those above me, retake until you obtain a 3.0 gpa in your ugrad gpas.