MD Chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokies101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have been wondering this for a while but I'm half Iranian and half Cherokee. I've been told middle eastern isn't URM by some sources and is by others. What do you think?

Also I was ended up applying to 20+ schools and have received secondaries from most of them, but I'm very anxious about chances in general. I'm applying with a 4.0 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA however I tanked my MCAT 504-128,123,127,126 because apparently I'm a slow reader :(

I'm also a Statistics major with a lot of EC like shadowing, club founder, volunteering, research, and pending publications. Not sure what to do at this point besides wait, but some advice from you intellectuals would be nice :D Thanks!!!!

Update:

I am a NC resident and I applied to
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center:
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Michigan State University
University of South Carolina School of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Medical University of South Carolina
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson
The University of Oklahoma
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Greenville

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You applied to many state public schools that accept very few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. Do not bother to submit the secondaries for those schools including UC Davis (matriculated 1 non resident 2 years ago!), Missouri, Cooper Rowan, U Washington (accepted less than 1% of applicants who are not from the Northwest), Central Michigan, Michigan State, Northeast Ohio, Arizona (both schools), Oklahoma, LSU and UCLA. I suggest adding schools such as:
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Creighton
St. Louis
West Virginia
Eastern Virginia

You applied to many state public schools that accept very few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. Do not bother to submit the secondaries for those schools including UC Davis (matriculated 1 non resident 2 years ago!), Missouri, Cooper Rowan, U Washington (accepted less than 1% of applicants who are not from the Northwest), Central Michigan, Michigan State, Northeast Ohio, Arizona (both schools), Oklahoma, LSU and UCLA. I suggest adding schools such as:
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Creighton
St. Louis
West Virginia
Eastern Virginia

I forgot to add that I have strong ties to Ohio/Missouri!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the nature of those ties to Ohio and Missouri ?
I was born in Ohio and the majority of my family lives there. My mother was diagnosed with cancer in Missouri which was a large portion of my decision to become a physician. I also lived there for an addition 5+ years!

I was born in Ohio and the majority of my family lives there. My mother was diagnosed with cancer in Missouri which was a large portion of my decision to become a physician. I also lived there for an addition 5+ years!
Since you were a previous resident of those states it may help you for medical school admissions but the non residents accepted usually have much higher MCAT scores than yours.

Reactions: 1 users
You will be proud to learn that Americans of Middle Eastern descent are among the best represented in US medicine.
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.imana.org/resource/resmgr/ispu_report_muslim_physician.pdf
I actually stumbled upon this post earlier, but reside as a Christian as well where the article is primarily for Muslims. I feel like I have a strange mix of ethnicity in general, but I was wondering how these would stack up applying with my other credentials,

Thanks in advance!

Since you were a previous resident of those states it may help you for medical school admissions but the non residents accepted usually have much higher MCAT scores than yours.
I understand my CARS score is not phenomenal, but I was curious about my current chances with my given credentials. I guess what I am asking is if the rest of my application is really solid do I still have a decent chance?

I actually stumbled upon this post earlier, but reside as a Christian as well where the article is primarily for Muslims. I feel like I have a strange mix of ethnicity in general, but I was wondering how these would stack up applying with my other credentials,

Thanks in advance!
Coptic Eyptians are also well represented in medicine, as are other Christian Middle Easterners.

Reactions: 1 user
Coptic Eyptians are also well represented in medicine, as are other Christian Middle Easterners.
Thank you! I know Native American is URM so I'm not sure how this will look to adcoms

You will probably receive interviews at Brody and UNC. You could also receive interviews at GW, Rosalind Franklin, Oakland Beaumont and the schools I listed above.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will probably receive interviews at Brody and UNC. You could also receive interviews at GW, Rosalind Franklin, Oakland Beaumont and the schools I listed above.
Thanks so much. Potential for Wake Forest? I hope to stay in state if possible.

No, I'm a second generation NA sadly
I would be very cautious about claiming NA (especially Cherokee) heritage without a tribal number.
It is among the most common misrepresentations in medical school admissions.

I would be very cautious about claiming NA heritage without a tribal number.
It is among the most common misrepresentations in medical school admissions.
Thanks for the heads up. I already applied so I guess we will see what happens. I'm sure if need be I could obtain paperwork.

Thanks for the heads up. I already applied so I guess we will see what happens. I'm sure if need be I could obtain paperwork.

Is it that easy to get quickly? Do you have documented and long service to the Cherokees? You need that too!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is it that easy to get quickly? Do you have documented and long service to the Cherokees? You need that too!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
As of now I'm going to wait and see if I land an interview in the first place. I'd imagine this would be easy to prove if need be. Thanks!!

Hi everyone!

I have been wondering this for a while but I'm half Iranian and half Cherokee. I've been told middle eastern isn't URM by some sources and is by others. What do you think?

Also I was ended up applying to 20+ schools and have received secondaries from most of them, but I'm very anxious about chances in general. I'm applying with a 4.0 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA however I tanked my MCAT 504-128,123,127,126 because apparently I'm a slow reader :(

I'm also a Statistics major with a lot of EC like shadowing, club founder, volunteering, research, and pending publications. Not sure what to do at this point besides wait, but some advice from you intellectuals would be nice :D Thanks!!!!

Update:

I am a NC resident and I applied to
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University
University of California, Davis School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center:
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Michigan State University
University of South Carolina School of Medicine
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Medical University of South Carolina
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson
The University of Oklahoma
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
University of South Carolina School of Medicine, Greenville
Sadly, most of those will be donations.

People don't come here for hugs kisses, but for advice. Do you have access to MSAR Online? And, in all seriousness, do you have research experience? This is a teaching moment.
Haha yes I have had two research positions and I'm working for my second publication currently and yes I used MSAR to apply.

Sadly, most of those will be donations.

Hey OP,

You should apply to all in state schools. Doesn't ECU have a program? This is not a time to be picky, especially with programs that will value your residency (like all NC schools).

In terms of your ethnicity, I believe Middle Eastern is considered as falling under the classification of "White" for most schools. Additionally, as the far better thanI informed gyngyn pointed out, Middle Eastern peoples are pretty well represented in this field. It still could be something you could address in some diversity essays though. And I agree with the others, if you don't have active tribal membership I would not denote that you are. Some of the schools I applied to actually ask that if you put NA, you list your specific tribal affiliation and number, etc.

Goro is right about your MCAT. It will preclude you from a lot of these programs. You're bottom 10th percentile or below for a lot of these schools according to MSAR (which is totally worth the $30 btw). That said, your MCAT is competitive for some, especially Rosy F according to their reported numbers. But it's really risky to have only a few schools with numbers your stats align with.

A retake and early app next cycle could be wise, or adding DO schools. You are competitive at every DO school with those numbers.

Good luck OP.

EDIT: Apologies, I did not see that you applied to Brody. I'd say that's your best bet here. Again good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Haha yes I have had two research positions and I'm working for my second publication currently and yes I used MSAR to apply.
Yet you did not bother to look at the IS/OOS ratios, did you?

Faha explained why you have no chances at those particular schools.

I suggest:
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland U Beaumont
Loyola
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
WVU
MCW
Creighton
VCU
Albany
Brody
Va Tech MAYBE if you are from rural western NC . Ditto East TN/Quillen.
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with CUSOM, PCOM-GA, all three VCOMs, KUCOM and LMU

Hey OP,

You should apply to all in state schools. Doesn't ECU have a program? This is not a time to be picky, especially with programs that will value your residency (like all NC schools).

In terms of your ethnicity, I believe Middle Eastern is considered as falling under the classification of "White" for most schools. Additionally, as the far better thanI informed gyngyn pointed out, Middle Eastern peoples are pretty well represented in this field. It still could be something you could address in some diversity essays though. And I agree with the others, if you don't have active tribal membership I would not denote that you are. Some of the schools I applied to actually ask that if you put NA, you list your specific tribal affiliation and number, etc.

Goro is right about your MCAT. It will preclude you from a lot of these programs. You're bottom 10th percentile or below for a lot of these schools according to MSAR (which is totally worth the $30 btw). That said, your MCAT is competitive for some, especially Rosy F according to their reported numbers. But it's really risky to have only a few schools with numbers your stats align with.

A retake and early app next cycle could be wise, or adding DO schools. You are competitive at every DO school with those numbers.

Good luck OP.
Thank you for your input. ECU has a newly created program called Brody School of Medicine where it only accepts in school applications, which is good for me. I used MSAR and for a lot of them I made sure my 504 was within their inner quartile. Some schools are definitely a reach but I figured I'd apply anyways. I originally was going to take a gap year but was kind of pressured in by friends and faculty to apply this cycle "just in case". Thanks again,

Yet you did not bother to look at the IS/OOS ratios, did you?

Faha explained why you have no chances at those particular schools.

I suggest:
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland U Beaumont
Loyola
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
WVU
MCW
Creighton
VCU
Albany
Brody
Va Tech MAYBE if you are from rural western NC . Ditto East TN/Quillen.
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, or LUCOM, for different reasons. Start list with CUSOM, PCOM-GA, all three VCOMs, KUCOM and LMU
My main consideration for criteria was within my MCAT range and I will definitely keep these in mind if I happen to take a gap year. Thanks,

Buy the MSAR and look for three things:

1) Schools that have a tenth percentile MCAT score lower than yours
2) Schools that are not URM heavy. Howard and Morehouse for example weigh URM status very heavily
3) Schools that do not have a heavy in state bias (if you out of state)

You should be able to find 20 or so schools that you have a shot with. You'd be a star at schools that place a lopsided emphasis on GPA.
You could throw in a few DO schools as a back-up if you aren't willing to retake the MCAT if you need to reapply.

Good Luck!

Buy the MSAR and look for three things:

1) Schools that have a tenth percentile MCAT score lower than yours
2) Schools that are not URM heavy. Howard and Morehouse for example weigh URM status very heavily
3) Schools that do not have a heavy in state bias (if you out of state)

You should be able to find 20 or so schools that you have a shot with. You'd be a star at schools that place a lopsided emphasis on GPA.
You could throw in a few DO schools as a back-up if you aren't willing to retake the MCAT if you need to reapply.

Good Luck!
I actually tried to utilize MSAR and I looked at all the schools where my MCAT was in the 25-75% (minus in state). I wasn't sure how to find schools that appreciated GPA more than MCAT, but I totally wish I did. Currently I've gotten secondaries from all the schools I've applied so there may be a chance!! :D

I actually tried to utilize MSAR and I looked at all the schools where my MCAT was in the 25-75% (minus in state). I wasn't sure how to find schools that appreciated GPA more than MCAT, but I totally wish I did. Currently I've gotten secondaries from all the schools I've applied so there may be a chance!! :D
You can figure these schools out by looking at the median MCAT/GPA and the range between the 10-90th percentiles. Schools that have a low 10th percentile for the MCAT but a high 10th percentile for GPA probably care more about GPA. You might also want to look into schools that have a 4.0 for their 90th percentile. Your perfect GPA might give you some bonus points at those schools.

You can figure these schools out by looking at the median MCAT/GPA and the range between the 10-90th percentiles. Schools that have a low 10th percentile for the MCAT but a high 10th percentile for GPA probably care more about GPA. You might also want to look into schools that have a 4.0 for their 90th percentile. Your perfect GPA might give you some bonus points at those schools.
I appreciate the advise! I'm hoping I can slip into ECU or UNC this semester. I have pretty good EC's and I'm hoping being in state and a 4.0 in non traditional major will help..