Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Proctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you still get into medical school if your cGPA is around a 3.2 and sGPA is a 3.1 but your EC is outstanding with amazing LOR and a lot of research under your belt. Over 4000 hours of shadowing/volunteer/clinical experience. MCAT 501. Can I apply to DO and MD schools or should I consider a Post Bacc program or a Masters program.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you still get into medical school if your cGPA is around a 3.2 and sGPA is a 3.1 but your EC is outstanding with amazing LOR and a lot of research under your belt. Over 4000 hours of shadowing/volunteer/clinical experience. MCAT 501. Can I apply to DO and MD schools or should I consider a Post Bacc program or a Masters program.
It's a crap shoot. Especially with those stats. From what I can tell, if you apply to the newer DO schools you'll have a fair shot. But I don't think your chances are particularly high for MD, unless you're URM. In addition, from what I've seen on these forums and from my experiences interviewing, DO schools, for the most part, don't really care about research. That being said, it is definitely something that sets you apart and is more likely to help you than to hurt you. I think if you're ok applying DO, then do it. But even then, if I was you I would do an SMP or a Diy post-bacc.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied with near identical GPA (upwards trend towards the end and a few postbacc courses) with great (read: not quite excellent but certainly above average- 1000+ volunteer hours [clinical and non-clinical], 1 first author pub, scribing, multiple other clinical/non-clinical research experiences), and a 509 MCAT (main different that I see between us). It is my understanding that most people consider outstanding ECs to be better than what you have listed.

I received 7 DO interview invites out of ~16-20 secondaries submitted. I think an important thing is that I spent lots of time on my essays and had multiple people proofread the essays I cared about most (then picked bits from those essays for other schools down the line).

So yes, it is probably doable with these stats. You might get lucky or unlucky in a given cycle. If you retook the MCAT and improved then you'd improve your chances a lot. Also depends on whether or not you have an upward trend. MD seems to be a long shot with these current stats, unless you are URM.

If you want MD, an SMP seems reasonable (I would start by substantially raising your MCAT, first). If you can't raise it, no sense in an SMP.

If you want DO, I think upper-level science courses in a DIY postbacc are much cheaper, less dangerous, and effective enough to help you get in next cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
LORs aren't going to overcome stats that are < 10th %ile for MD schools. For them, I'd say your chances are lethal.

Even for DO schools, you wouldn't get an II to mine and a number of others. Chances best with the newest DO schools. See parslea's wise advice.

MDs would spit you out.

DOs might take a bite.