Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackhat2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, hoping to get some additional input on my chances for cardiology, applying this year:

Program: top tier university program on the west coast

Step scores: 260+/260+/260+/passed CS first attempt

LOR: 1 PD letter + 3 from CCU attendings/research, all pretty big names. Per PD my letter should be very strong though who knows.

Research: 2 papers that I should get submitted by application time (both 1st author, one cardiology, one ICU), 4 noncardiology pubs (1st/2nd author, mix of OI and perspectives/reviews in high profile journals), handful of abstracts/posters at regional conferences, will also submit two abstracts to AHA this year, one large active project I’m working on and can talk about but won’t produce a paper until the fall

Extracurriculars: a handful, nothing really special

Desired programs: I’m looking for a well rounded academically inclined program with a focus on clinical medicine but still with a foot in research, very strong preference for west coast (thinking mix of all the typical university programs + the stronger community ones like Cedars, Kaiser, CPMC, Scripps), scattering of programs across the midwest and texas (Colorado, UPMC, Michigan, Northwestern/UoChicago, UTSW, Baylor, Vanderbilt) + the usual university programs in NY/Boston (I’m probably not a good fit but would like to throw my hat in the ring just in case haha) m. Probably applying to 30-35 or so (interview at 9-10 ideally).

Anyway I feel like I have a weird mix of good credentials/LOR and just average research, a slightly non conventional background for cardiology (hence why most of my research isn’t in cards, which I explained in my PS), so I’m curious about how my application comes off to others.

Appreciate your input, and good luck to everyone this cycle!

You’ll be fine