Chances

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Worry Boy, Jun 1, 1999.

1. Worry Boy

Worry Boy New Member

I have just finished my AACOMAS app. and was wondering what you think my chances are. My GPA is low (3.33) but I am an older student (27)and have demonstrated a strong commitment to provide svcs. to an underserved population (Native Amer) thru life experince, volunteer, and Internship. Several Docs have written very strong letters of support and my advisors feel I am a strong applicant. In addition I have been accepted into a highly competitve Pre-Med Summer program at UCLA Med. (I know Allopathic but I really want DO)
    Finally, my question is do you know of anyone with such a GPA actually getting into a CA school or any other DO schools??

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gregory Gulick

Gregory Gulick Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Worry Boy, you didn't state if that GPA was your overall or your science GPA. Basically, it really depends on how that GPA breaks down. If your overall is a 3.3, and your science GPA is a 3.5 or higher, then you have pretty good chances. If your science GPA is 3.3, it will be tougher -- but not impossible. Also, you didn't mention your MCAT scores and these carry a great deal of weight.

It sounds like you have some good experiences that osteopathic schools will probably be interested in. These experiences will serve you well once you have a foot in the door (an interview). Of course, numbers still open that door.

Good luck.

[​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Gregory Gulick (edited June 01, 1999).]