chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone can tell me what they think my chances will be Id greatly appreciate it.. especially since this has been such a difficult endeavor for me..

Im a non-trad student, supported myself since the age of 12. Got my GED at 15. Went to nursing school at 17 and worked full time while going to community college. Transferred to a top tier, prestigious college on full scholarship as biochem major, philosophy minor. Went through a divorce for the first two years at this school (KILLED MY GPA), commuted 60 miles to school every day, and worked 30 hours a week while conducting research toward my undergrad thesis. In my senior year I had to get emergency surgery and missed 3 weeks of school but I still pulled off a 3.73(all science courses) for that year(4.0 for the second semester) and completed my thesis. Recieved my biochem degree with honor, published my work and got nominated into two science honor societies.

I have extensive health/patient care experience (7+ years) and Im a mentor to young minority people. My overall GPA is 3.24 and my science is 3.2. (The C's in stupid classes like beginner algebra and geology really KILLED my GPA, and didn't leave room for that C in biochem 1 hahha) my mcats are not good: August 99 = 9v, 7P, 8B, M-WS. Although I still don't understand why since these scores are about 2 lower in each section than what I was getting on kaplans sample tests.

Well, what do you think? Im pretty sure I won't be getting any interviews but do you have any suggestions on what I should do to maybe strengthen my application bsides taking the MCAT again (thats a given).

P.S. Im of Native American decent (Hawaiian) and I consider my background disadvantaged due to circumstances too personal to list publicly. I've indicated this on my applications and have sent supporting letters regarding the matter to each of the schools. Ive applied to both DO adn MD schools as I am very familiar with both practices and respect equally both of their philosophies. I also have very strong letters of recs and a letter from my old medical director who is a DO all of which are VERY supportive of my candidacy.

Thank you for any responses, Im very worried about my GPA and MCAT keeping me out of medical school.

[This message has been edited by Poet (edited 10-25-1999).]

Members don't see this ad.

If you did as good a job in your personal statement as you did in that post you should get quite a few interviews. I know if I interviewed you, you'd get my support. I was told by a member of the admissions committee at a "prestigious" medical school that he has argued for students with low MCATs and superlative academic credentials as well as for students with high MCATs and low grades. Your story is very impressive. You have shown a tremendous degree of desire and commitment to get to this point...when you get interviews (and I'm sure you will) be yourself. I know for a fact that medical schools are looking for students like you.

I agree with the above post. you will get interviews, and osteopathic school are looking for students like you. don't give up. you're story is truly an inspiration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Young NP and Tonem,

Thank you so much for those words of encouragement. I would like you both to know that your kindness has not gone unnoticed.

It is very easy to become discouraged in such a competitive application process...however, you've reminded me of the spirit that drives all of us to pursue medicine....giving hope and understanding to others.
smile.gif

If I don't get any interviews this time, I hope to renew my strength to try again. Thank you both so much for helping me feel what I haven't felt since before beginning this whole process
smile.gif

Sincerely,
Poet

Poet, Your application definetly stands out.
Also, you should realize that since you are a minority, there is a quota system alloted. THat means its to your advantage over others and not a disadvantage, that you have a Native American background.

quotas are illegal (Bakke v. Univ. of California)...medical schools have agreed to try and increase the number of minority medical students by the year 2000, however. If you signed up for the minority registry thing when you took the MCAT you will probabbly be hearing from schools to which you didn't apply...(if you can afford it put in a supplemental application with AMCAS when you hear from them). Don't be discouraged if it takes you awhile to get an interview (especially w/ the August MCAT)....my first was in Feb.

[This message has been edited by tonem (edited 10-26-1999).]

[This message has been edited by tonem (edited 10-27-1999).]

[This message has been edited by tonem (edited 10-27-1999).]

Your Native American background will not give you "minority applicant" status unless you are a tribal member (I have a couple of relatives who went to college on minority scholarships, as Native Americans, and I know this for sure). So, if you ARE a tribal member, then you can mark that "minority" box.

However, having said that, I don't even think that you need the "special consideration" to get into med school. I think your application is strong as it is. Most MD school are a lot more anal retentive about both MCAT and GPA (and for MD admissions both your numbers are borderline at best), so I would not bet my next meal over them,even though you have had plenty of good reasons for these numbers and, given the circumstances, it is amazing you did so well.I would be extremely surprised, though, if you didn't get interviews and acceptances at several DO schools. Good luck!

Thank you all for your responses. I am encouraged and hopeful once again!!

To the last poster. I am of Native Hawaiian decent and I don't have tribal affiliation as there are no tribes in Hawaii. MCOW wanted proof of my heritage, unfortunately most Hawaiians don't have written proof!! I hope this does not affect my application.

It has been nice to read about all the interviews and acceptances everyone has been getting and hopefully I will join that pool someday. I will be sure to keep you all posted if such an event happens!

In the meantime, please feel free to email me about any suggestions you may have for the app process and I will be sure to keep you updated!

my email is as follows: [email protected]

Thank you all once again,
Poet