Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittygirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone -- I'm in my 2nd year of Undergraduate, and I have a GPA of 3.4 (Science- 3.2, and Non-Science- 3.5). I'm also involved in ECs, worked in a hospital setting, and have done some volunteer work. I just recently changed my career choice to pharmacy, and I'm wondering if my stats so far are good enough for pharm school. I've been told by a pre-health advisor that I need at least a 3.6 GPA and an 80th percentile PCAT score, but I am finding it very hard to raise my GPA, and I am generally not a very good test-taker. Do you think being involved in ECs and working will increase my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

yes. but how r u going to do well on your pcats if ure not a good test taker?

I'm in the same boat I have a 3.42 GPA now and knew I had to do well on the PCAT. Get the Kaplan book and Shwann's guide to College Chemistry. Also there were flashcards by some company for vocabulary. I used these things and got in the 95th percentile. Also any extracirrulars can help i would think. Good luck. Hope those study aids can help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I've been told by a pre-health advisor that I need at least a 3.6 GPA and an 80th percentile PCAT score"

This person is lying to you. That, or they are uninformed. I've found pre health advisors to be generally unknowledgable or deliberately misleading about the actual process compared to what actual pharmacy students and pharmacy advisors have said. Talk to someone in the pharmacy dept, not in undergrad advising.

"I've been told by a pre-health advisor that I need at least a 3.6 GPA and an 80th percentile PCAT score"

This person is lying to you. That, or they are uninformed. I've found pre health advisors to be generally unknowledgable or deliberately misleading about the actual process compared to what actual pharmacy students and pharmacy advisors have said. Talk to someone in the pharmacy dept, not in undergrad advising.

LOL yeah those advisors are useless. My pre-health advisor told me that almost everyone gets a bachelor's prior to applying to pharmacy school. And she also told me that people generally take ONE YEAR off just to study for the PCAT. LMAO.

... she also told me that people generally take ONE YEAR off just to study for the PCAT. LMAO.

OMG... a YEAR for the PCAT?! Yeah, that advisor doesn't know squat. She must have confused it with the MCAT...

Hi everyone -- I'm in my 2nd year of Undergraduate, and I have a GPA of 3.4 (Science- 3.2, and Non-Science- 3.5). I'm also involved in ECs, worked in a hospital setting, and have done some volunteer work. I just recently changed my career choice to pharmacy, and I'm wondering if my stats so far are good enough for pharm school. I've been told by a pre-health advisor that I need at least a 3.6 GPA and an 80th percentile PCAT score, but I am finding it very hard to raise my GPA, and I am generally not a very good test-taker. Do you think being involved in ECs and working will increase my chances?

How 'bout this one. 3.57 Cum, 3.49 Science. No real EC's (meaning no healthcare setting). Full-time work while going to school Full time (8 units at CSU, 8 Units at CC this quarter/semester). Wife and two kids. BS Biochem, minor Biology. Not taking PCAT.

How 'bout this one. 3.57 Cum, 3.49 Science. No real EC's (meaning no healthcare setting). Full-time work while going to school Full time (8 units at CSU, 8 Units at CC this quarter/semester). Wife and two kids. BS Biochem, minor Biology. Not taking PCAT.

I think you have a pretty good chance with your GPA and a BS in biochem. Try to get some healthcare experience by volunteering or even shadowing a pharmacist might help you out.

your stats are fine. just get a 70s or 80s on the pcat and you have a great chance of an interview.