Chances/Input?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatguyinschool

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am about to finish up last semester of college, taking about 14 credits all science. Now I am confused and what my next step is.

Here is some of my stats (very poor and did not work hard enough throughout my college career)

Current sGPA which includes no math classes, a course I took in high school that got transferred, and two F's that I received if I did it correctly I am at a 2.48 gpa.
cGPA which includes this two Fs as well is a 2.95 which I am sure I can get it above the 3 mark next semester.

This semester I was able to pull of a 3.5 GPA which was all science classes about 12 credits, and an A- in Orgo, which I got an F in the previous semester. Made the deans list.

Did not take any entrance exams yet.

So my question is:
Can I get accepted to Pharmacy schools with my stats?
If not what can I do to get in?
Does pharmacy school do F forgiveness?
Is this field still in demand, and would this be a recommended field?

Any other input would be appreciated like always.

Stay safe everyone,
thatguyinschool.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you've got the cash, you're in. Even the best pharmacy schools just want to fill seats and could care less about academic history of the candidate. Such is the state of the profession. But I'd question why you want to get aboard a sinking ship...

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys I am about to finish up last semester of college, taking about 14 credits all science. Now I am confused and what my next step is.

Here is some of my stats (very poor and did not work hard enough throughout my college career)

Current sGPA which includes no math classes, a course I took in high school that got transferred, and two F's that I received if I did it correctly I am at a 2.48 gpa.
cGPA which includes this two Fs as well is a 2.95 which I am sure I can get it above the 3 mark next semester.

This semester I was able to pull of a 3.5 GPA which was all science classes about 12 credits, and an A- in Orgo, which I got an F in the previous semester. Made the deans list.

Did not take any entrance exams yet.

So my question is:
If not what can I do to get in?
Does pharmacy school do F forgiveness?
Is this field still in demand, and would this be a recommended field?

Any other input would be appreciated like always.

Stay safe everyone,
thatguyinschool.

What classes did you get an F in besides Orgo? How many classes have you retaken? At what point in school do you consider yourself starting to work hard (legit question, burn-out is real and you'd be doing yourself a disservice going into the mind set of handling the rigors of professional schooling).

That GPA is not considered low-end, it's considered REAL low-end. Programs (albeit easier than in times past) will look at your transcript and think in a business perspective that if you were to get accepted in their program, would you be able to pass to the end? You don't pass, they don't get paid.

Programs have lowered the cut-offs this past decade. I'll end this by saying the majority will indeed say no so long as enough applicants ahead of you apply with even subpar GPA and little to no experience in a pharmacy.

If Not What Can I Do to Get In?

Work in a pharmacy, raise your GPA, if you're daring enough take the PCAT and get a 90 even if the programs don't require it. At least it can be eye-candy on your application allowing a program to consider taking a slight chance with you to fill a seat.

Does Pharmacy Schools Do F Forgiveness?

Pharmacy programs use PharmCAS for their applications and no, PharmCAS does not do grade forgiveness. It'll take any repeated courses and average it out as part of its GPA calculation. FYI, GPA's on PharmCAS show up lower than what your school transcript shows (computes A/B as a grade for GPA calculations).

Is This Field Still in Demand, And Would This Be a Recommend Field?

Job Saturation: Is Pharmacy Worth It? Here's What You Need to Know | Student Doctor Network

Job Market | Student Doctor Network

No. Please look at the links above.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe people still ask "what are my chances" questions.

Pharmacy schools are running with empty seats, that means they will literally take anyone, absolutely anyone. So your chances of getting into a pharmacy school somewhere are 100%.

Now getting into a specific school, that is trickier. Certainly if you have a good story about why your grades were low, and how you solved that problem, that would help.

Pharmacy is over-saturated, and there is no demand for it. I would not recommend going into pharmacy, unless your parents own a drug store you are going to inherit. Maybe not even then. Since with your stats is more likely you will be accepted to a "new" school, rather than an "older" school, that will also hurt you in getting a job. New schools are often reputed to turn out questionable students, so employers will go with older, more established schools.

What is your major in, and why do you no longer want to work in that major? Your best bet is to figure out something to do with your current major. You should absolutely not even consider pharmacy until you have worked in a pharmacy--preferably retail, since if you are lucky enough to get a job, it will likely be in retail.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a pulse and the ability to apply for student loans or cash? If you answered yes then you’ll get accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
Just in case you are looking for an alternate career, try out clinical/medical lab scientist. I think its just 1 or 2 more years of school before you apply for position.