Change in Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

britt1986pharmd

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in pharmacy school first year. I have only been in school for 1 wk and I am not comfortable where I am at. I felt like this immediatley after orientation. The school workload is not the issue. It's more of everything else! Please respond. I am thinking about reapplying!! Need advise!! Is this common? Will it affect me in the long run?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone every got accepted at a pharmacy school and decided that the school not the course load was not for them?

Last edited:
What is 'everything else' ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go ahead and withdraw after talking to friends/counselors. In the long run, ask yourself if you'll get accepted again (you probably will since you got in already). It might/will come up during an interview, just tell them that you weren't comfortable where you were..hope this helps

You have me wondering what you don't like about it. If you stick out your first year will they let you transfer?

As others have said, I would try to stick it out for the first year and see if you could transfer. Realize that some schools will kick you back a year or make you redo the application process all over. I'm not really sure what made you decide you don't like things there? Did you do a campus visit prior to submitting your deposit, or did you have lack of options for schools to attend? I would try and root up the cause of not feeling comfortable there, sometimes all it takes it meeting a few close friends to plan activities and such with.

Merged threads from pre-pharm and pharm forums. Please refrain from making multiple threads on the same topic in the future. It keeps the boards cleaner and lots of people look at all the pharm forums anyways.

I just wanted to let you know that I have kind of been feeling the same way, too. I don't really have any great advice, but unless there is something about the school environment that you just know you will not be able to deal with, I would give it more time. One week is kind of premature to make a judgement about anything, especially if you had to relocate to go to school. Plus, I think some people are just slower to warm to new situations than others. I know I am. :luck:

Stick out your first year. You are sitting in a seat someone else could have had. It's too late now for someone to come in off the wait list. You're lucky to have a place in a School of Pharmacy. Just put your head down and do the work. I second the advice that you find someone to talk over your concerns with. There's nothing wrong with asking for some help with whatever is going on.

Not in pharm school yet, but did go through vet school. I second the sentiments of twester. There was someone else who wanted your position, so stick it out. You may not like the school (those other things are not significant when it comes to your future if the school work...which is what you are there for...is ok). I went to Tuskegee Vet School...a Historically Black College. Guess what...heard so many negative comments from white students about being there (wish I could have told them where they really could have went). I digress...they stayed there anyhow, graduated and are now veterinarians with way more hands on experience that most vets out there. Your education is most important and if you feel you will get what you need academically, then stay. Now, if those "other things" are going to affect your ability to focus, at least get into your year and try to transfer when it's all said and done. Hey, at least you all have that as a choice..vet school does not.

It's very common that fresh grads still are not decided on what school or or college to take... In the end they end up shifting and transferring.

Before going to college, make sure you know what to take and follow your heart!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I was the only one... I am not comfortable where I am at and my financial aid still has not come through for me. I am tired of all the lack of organization around here. I am seriously thinking about cancelling classes and reapplying some where else for next year. Guys will you please respond to this... Any advise will be great...

Justin PharmD2B

Stick out your first year. You are sitting in a seat someone else could have had. It's too late now for someone to come in off the wait list. You're lucky to have a place in a School of Pharmacy. Just put your head down and do the work. I second the advice that you find someone to talk over your concerns with. There's nothing wrong with asking for some help with whatever is going on.

What if you just down right uncomfortable and most of the people are horrible?

Justin PharmD2B

Justin what pharm school do you attend?

Justin and Brit, I really do recommend sticking it out for one year at least.

When our classes first started, there were a few people who complained about other people's attitude, background, or whatever. But when you think about it, you cannot lump an entire group of diverse people into one category. You may have run into a person that rubbed you the wrong way but just try to get to know a few more people.

I was SOOOOO uncomfortable my first week. It wasn't just the school, it was the big change in my life, the courses, the hours, the drive, the stress, EVERYTHING. This is a HUGE change in your life and it will take awhile for you to get adjusted to it. Stay open, and try to make friends along the way. They will help you get through the rough times.

A P2 told me she also felt like she didn't have any friends until the second year when she had lab. That forced people to talk to her and get to know her.

Every school has some sort of "issue". You have worked so hard to get where you are. Are you really going to let minor problems get in your way? Because in the grand scheme of things such as getting your PharmD, everything is minor.

Make friends. They will make the ride much more enjoyable :)

I think a lot of people are uncomfortable the first few weeks (maybe even the first few months) of pharmacy school. What I found annoying is the trip back in time to grade school where you are in all the same classes with all the same people. You can't get away from the annoying people and the cliques, since they will be in pretty much EVERY class for the first 3 years of pharm school.

I HATED it at first. I didn't really seem to bond with anyone for the first month. I talked to quite a few people, but you know how it is sometimes...you just don't click. Anyway, I moved where I sat in class a few times, and finally I found someone that I hit it off with.

I think finding at least one other person that you "get" is the difference between a miserable experience in pharm school and a decent experience. So try to tough it out--it takes time, but you'll find someone you can at least share some laughs with during the bleak experience that is pharmacy school.

For the most part, wherever you go, the curriculum is going to be the same, the campus will be similar, and your fellow students are going to be similar. So personally, I say don't transfer. It's going to be wayyyyyyyy more of a pain, and you'll probably find yourself in the exact same position.

Try to keep your thoughts on the goal at hand and things will get better.

What if you just down right uncomfortable and most of the people are horrible?

Justin PharmD2B

Here is a lesson in life. Who gives a flying f____? I don't care if 1/2 the class are ass holes and the other half are bastards. Think about why you are there, to get an education. You're not their to be Mr or Ms. congeniality. Do your work and don't worry about others in your class. If you don't like the people, find a Church/Synagogue/Community Group or get a job where you can meet people outside of school.

The greatest battles you will face in life are not with your school or your classmates or your employer, they are with yourself. Buckle down, do your work and forget about the idiots.

Unless there is some reason you have not given, quitting is a poor idea.

Here is a lesson in life. Who gives a flying f____? I don't care if 1/2 the class are ass holes and the other half are bastards. Think about why you are there, to get an education. You're not their to be Mr or Ms. congeniality. Do your work and don't worry about others in your class. If you don't like the people, find a Church/Synagogue/Community Group or get a job where you can meet people outside of school.

The greatest battles you will face in life are not with your school or your classmates or your employer, they are with yourself. Buckle down, do your work and forget about the idiots.

Unless there is some reason you have not given, quitting is a poor idea.

Ditto!

Please stick it out a year and see what happens! Most pharmacy schools seem to have about one seat for every ten applicants, you're lucky in some ways. If your class is too uptight for you, find some looser peers in a social fraternity or the artsier departments (like...art). If your class is too loose for you, find some fellow geeks in SCA. If you are lonely, go to your campus ministry-they usually have older couples who will act as surrogate parents and possibly even feed you once a week; unfortunately, they will also make you go to some kind of church. As far as frustration with school administration-they all usually suck, regardless of the school.

I don't think they were really trolling.. the PM I got from them looked like a concerned student looking for answers/help.

I don't think they were really trolling.. the PM I got from them looked like a concerned student looking for answers/help.
Same here...she told me she is attending a HBCU and just didn't feel comfortable. Which I would admit might be difficult for me as well, but then again I would have researched the schools I was applying to better.

Don't know if you're serious or not, but

HBCU = Historically Black Colleges and Universities

Last edited:
i think you should drop out and reapply--you will be 10x happier. looking back, i regret coming to my institution and have put up with it for 4 miserable years and even now on rotations, they suck and wouldn't even let me leave to do my rotations b/c they are lazy *******s to figure out some contract. :oops: i should have gone w/ my gut instinct--that's the best advice i can give you. if your gut instinct says it's bad and that you shouldn't go there, listen to it. i hate the teachers and the lack of, the students, the snobbiness, the cliques, the rotations, etc. If you ask me where I go to school, it's simple--I go to HWCU.

Wow someone is a little bitter... :rolleyes:

Frankly, I regret coming to my institution as well. But I'd have had the same complaints at any other school. Pharmacy school just sucks. Second year was the worst. I'm in the home stretch now with P3 - just have to get through it and graduate. I'm lucky to have some great friends in school and a rich life outside of school.

I love the profession, I just hate the process, however necessary.

These people must have sent out massive PMs - I got a completely incoherent one telling me I could never understand the awfulness of it all. Eh, whatever...

:thumbup:I attend a HBCU school studying pharmacy & I love my program!:)

The only thing that I can complain about is the disorganization. It's gotten a lot better though.

As older professors become more comfortable with technology like Blackboard and email, the communication process goes more smoothly.

As far as having relationships with students and professors, I just do my own thing and interact whenever I need to do so. My standards for those kinds of interactions are hard to meet, and instead of lowering my standards, I do my own thing when all else fails.

I interact with people at work so much so that whenever I come home, I don't want to talk to people face to face or over the phone. I like writing in forums or working on projects that need to get done around my apartment. My time at home is my time; I'm sure some of you can relate to this.