SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

change of residency question.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by youngjock, Dec 17, 2001.

1. youngjock

youngjock Banned Banned

Jun 13, 2000
    I just found out that I will never be a virginia state resident as long as I am just a student! i will have to work for a year, then become a resident. damn! I thought that I will become one after one year.

I had it all planned out.
    :(

Well, i don't know what to do now! that is my question. should i go back to california, and study there. or move to another state which has high admission rate for its own state residents, etc?

or according to the virginia law, i will have to work for a year, then i can become a resident. :(

I don't know what i should do now.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. choker

choker Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 30, 2001
    nyc
    i must point out that no part of the above statemtent resembles a question.

(-sorry, final in an hour)

4. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2001
    Omaha
    I have a good friend that moved from Illinois to Iowa, worked for a year and now is in med school at the University of Iowa. It can be done.

It seems to me that California is hyper-competitive. I would move somewhere else that is less competitive. Texas? I have heard that Austin and San Antonio are nice cities.

Plus CA is so darn expensive. You can move back there when you are a rich doctor.

5. locitamd

locitamd Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2001
    I have a friend at Baylor, he spent one year as an out-of-stater, but bought an apartment and now qualifies for instate tuition. Doesn't help with the admissions process, but does help reduce debt when you're done.

6. j99

j99 Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 27, 2001
    NC
    Yes, virginia does have particularly anal restrictions on residency. If you do work, make sure you work long enough to make a decent amount--I believe that they look for you to have made at leas $12,000 in the previous year. Plus they want you to register to vote, vote, change your driver's license, register your car in VA.

There is one easy way out though--marry a virginia resident. This guarantees you immediate residency status!

7. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2001
    East Providence, RI
    We should set up some sort of network on SDN, where people who want to get married can hook up with people who want residency in their particular state. We'll call it SDPN: Student Doctor/Pimp Network.

8. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92' 7+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Student Doctor Pimp Network........ I like that. It just has a nice twist to it.

9. nitemagi

nitemagi Senior Member Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm in ! :D

10. none

none 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Many states don't allow you to become a resident while being a student. The whole point of residency is that you pay taxes to the state and if you aren't working in the state...you aren't paying state income taxes.

11. nysurg

nysurg A chance to cut... 10+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2001
    NY, IL, PA, DC, WA, OK
    Young Jock,
    I PM'ed you. Check!

nypostbac

12. jiffy boy

jiffy boy Member 7+ Year Member

May 23, 2001
    Virtual, California
    Here's a question. I will probably be attending med school out of state.

What if my wife works my first year of med school? Will I become a resident because I am married to someone who qualifies as a resident?