SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

change of residency question.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by youngjock, Dec 17, 2001.

  1. youngjock

    youngjock Banned Banned

    Jun 13, 2000
    I just found out that I will never be a virginia state resident as long as I am just a student! i will have to work for a year, then become a resident. damn! I thought that I will become one after one year.

    I had it all planned out.

    Well, i don't know what to do now! that is my question. should i go back to california, and study there. or move to another state which has high admission rate for its own state residents, etc?

    or according to the virginia law, i will have to work for a year, then i can become a resident. :(

    I don't know what i should do now.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. choker

    choker Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Jul 30, 2001
    i must point out that no part of the above statemtent resembles a question.

    (-sorry, final in an hour)
  4. Mutterkuchen

    Mutterkuchen Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Nov 28, 2001
    I have a good friend that moved from Illinois to Iowa, worked for a year and now is in med school at the University of Iowa. It can be done.

    It seems to me that California is hyper-competitive. I would move somewhere else that is less competitive. Texas? I have heard that Austin and San Antonio are nice cities.

    Plus CA is so darn expensive. You can move back there when you are a rich doctor.
  5. locitamd

    locitamd Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Dec 1, 2001
    I have a friend at Baylor, he spent one year as an out-of-stater, but bought an apartment and now qualifies for instate tuition. Doesn't help with the admissions process, but does help reduce debt when you're done.
  6. j99

    j99 Member 7+ Year Member

    Jun 27, 2001
    Yes, virginia does have particularly anal restrictions on residency. If you do work, make sure you work long enough to make a decent amount--I believe that they look for you to have made at leas $12,000 in the previous year. Plus they want you to register to vote, vote, change your driver's license, register your car in VA.

    There is one easy way out though--marry a virginia resident. This guarantees you immediate residency status!
  7. Coalboy

    Coalboy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Oct 14, 2001
    East Providence, RI
    We should set up some sort of network on SDN, where people who want to get married can hook up with people who want residency in their particular state. We'll call it SDPN: Student Doctor/Pimp Network.
  8. altaskier

    altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92' 7+ Year Member

    Nov 12, 2001
    Student Doctor Pimp Network........ I like that. It just has a nice twist to it.
  9. nitemagi

    nitemagi Senior Member Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

    Oct 15, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm in ! :D
  10. none

    none 1K Member 10+ Year Member

    Jul 27, 2001
    Many states don't allow you to become a resident while being a student. The whole point of residency is that you pay taxes to the state and if you aren't working in the aren't paying state income taxes.
  11. nysurg

    nysurg A chance to cut... 10+ Year Member

    Dec 6, 2001
    NY, IL, PA, DC, WA, OK
    Young Jock,
    I PM'ed you. Check!

  12. jiffy boy

    jiffy boy Member 7+ Year Member

    May 23, 2001
    Virtual, California
    Here's a question. I will probably be attending med school out of state.

    What if my wife works my first year of med school? Will I become a resident because I am married to someone who qualifies as a resident?

Share This Page