Change the Degree to MDO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a nice sentiment. I "like" it too. Kind of gives you a warm fuzzy. Warm, fuzzy and unfortunately inaccurate. (sad face)
How do you find it to be inaccurate?

It's been my experience, at the 5-7 hospitals I've spent time at, that the DO residents/attendings are rarely, if ever, asked about their degree... granted, my state is very DO friendly (e.g., 20% of the practicing physicians in the state are DOs and we have several historically Osteopathic hospitals).

Members don't see this ad.

It's FergIson son. And that's a great idea.

Oh and I love that movie too. Thanks for the post random Allopathic Resident posting opinions on an Osteopathic forum. I wonder what would prompt that?

Interesting to see how many on these forums will admit that if they had the chance given to them they would switch the degree to MD yet cry out when a proposition is put forth to alter our degree to something that contains the word medicine for medical doctor and looks less like a vestige of ol Andrew Taylor Poot n Toot's time. I think that many may change their tune as they progress onward but time will tell.

As for McDowell's, my recollection is that they cleaned up. It is an interesting example though as there has likely never been another time when two businesses have had such similarities. We never see it in the products of today. They are always way way different right?
D.O. stands for "Doctor or Osteopathic Medicine" today. So it does have "Medicine" in the name. Guess what technically doesn't have "Medicine" in its name? M.D.

D.O. stands for "Doctor or Osteopathic Medicine" today. So it does have "Medicine" in the name. Guess what technically doesn't have "Medicine" in its name? M.D.
huh? What exactly do you think the M in MD stands for?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think they should just change it to D.N.P. (since we're not that much better). :beat:

huh? What exactly do you think the M in MD stands for?
"D.O." = "Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine"
"M.D." = Medicinae Doctor

Hope that clears it up for you.

"D.O." = "Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine"
"M.D." = Medicinae Doctor

Hope that clears it up for you.
I have always thought that physicians with DO after their name were just as intelligent as those with MD. You are causing me to rethink this...

I have always thought that physicians with DO after their name were just as intelligent as those with MD. You are causing me to rethink this...
:rolleyes: Well that didn't take long.

Reactions: 1 user
Then how come you're not part of the "AOMA" instead of the AOA?
Probably because the AOA was formed before 1960. Apparently the passed a resolution in 1960 stating the following:

"Be it resolved, that the American Osteopathic Association institute a policy, both officially in our publications and individually on a conversational basis, to use the terms osteopathic medicine in place of the word osteopathy and osteopathic physician and surgeon in place of osteopath; the words osteopathy and osteopath being reserved for historical, sentimental, and informal discussions only."

Just sayin'... what patients actually see at most hospitals is:
DOCTOR
or
PHYSICIAN
emblazoned on the nametag of people walking around. So unless they're scrutinizing your badge (if it even has the degree printed), they won't notice or care.
At my hospital they will see an big inprint of either MD or DO beside your pic in the background of your name. Physician is bolded, but very small in comparison.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my hospital they will see an big inprint of either MD or DO beside your pic in the background of your name. Physician is bolded, but very small in comparison.

The nerve! Displaying your professional-doctoral level degree so prominently like that!

Reactions: 4 users
Interesting. Never seen it done like that!
Yep they did the same thing with my RN. They are trying to eliminate confusion so people know when they talk to 'the doctor' of course half the patients dont know anyway, and probably complain that they get confused and dont know who the doc is. 99% of the time tho they just arent paying attention.

I'll just pay the $65 and change my DO to MD to make it less confusing.

5yvj4.jpg

I'll just pay the $65 and change my DO to MD to make it less confusing.

It makes a lot of sense to just bring both under the same umbrella for everything. But i think that if something makes sense then the people in charge are against it in principle

It makes a lot of sense to just bring both under the same umbrella for everything. But i think that if something makes sense then the people in charge are against it in principle
AT Still didn't create a DO degree/program to have it just be the same as the MD program or else he is the best medical troll known to all mankind.

I have a hard enough time explaining to my family that the DO degree they recognize is real medical school. Last thing I need is to explain what this new degree MDO is. Oriental medicine?

Reactions: 5 users
If you're referring to the above comment, in 1961/1962 DOs in California were given the option to change their degree from DO to MD for a $65 fee. ~85% of the DOs in the state decided to do so.

I read about all this....very interesting.

Last edited:
They were the "little md's" md was not capitalized...and one of the osteopathic schools in California became an MD schools literally overnight, the only change was REMOVING part of the curriculum (OMT classes). This overnight change from DO to MD actually made other states start to question if there was actually a difference between the two degrees, and was a beginning step towards unification and acceptance of the DO degree.

That school that was an osteopathic school and changed to an allopathic school is still currently an MD school in Cali, i forget which one.

UC Irvine. Which ironically is notoriously anti-DO now in terms of residency selection.
Also they weren't allowed to call themselves MDs outside of CA.

Reactions: 3 users
They were the "little md's" md was not capitalized...and one of the osteopathic schools in California became an MD schools literally overnight, the only change was REMOVING part of the curriculum (OMT classes). This overnight change from DO to MD actually made other states start to question if there was actually a difference between the two degrees, and was a beginning step towards unification and acceptance of the DO degree.

That school that was an osteopathic school and changed to an allopathic school is still currently an MD school in Cali, i forget which one.

UC Irvine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_California,_Irvine_School_of_Medicine

Edit: Darn, @GUH beat me to it

They take DOs in their IM program.
That's good, but IM is one of the least competitive specialties. And until recently they generally did not take DOs as rotating students. OPSC had to put pressure on Janet Napolitano to change that.

That's good, but IM is one of the least competitive specialties. And until recently they generally did not take DOs as rotating students. OPSC had to put pressure on Janet Napolitano to change that.

Do osteopathic students have to pay to do their away rotations there?

If you go to a Osteopathic school youre a D.O.. Why does it keep coming up again and again? The MDO bs is tiresome.

You know he died a hundred years ago right?
Well so did a bunch of people (more than 100 years ago) who created the framework for our country. We don't scrap all the of that but make minor changes here and there to adapt to our generation but the general principles always still apply. Just like the general principles of the DO degree.

If you graduate from an Osteopathic school youre a D.O.. Why does it keep coming up again and again? The MDO bs is tiresome.
Had to fix it. Compulsive. My bad.

The degree should either by DO from X Osteopathic Medical School or MD from X Osteopathic Medical School. If they're going to change the degree name, just change it completely. No need for the half measure.

Well so did a bunch of people (more than 100 years ago) who created the framework for our country. We don't scrap all the of that but make minor changes here and there to adapt to our generation but the general principles always still apply. Just like the general principles of the DO degree.

Did you just compare AT Still to America's Founding Fathers?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah bro I did. Both were created many generations ago with a blueprint for what they wanted to change from the current state of affairs. Seems pretty similar to me. Sure one's more complex but basically have the same principle.

You know he died a hundred years ago right?

Yeah bro I did. Both were created many generations ago with a blueprint for what they wanted to change from the current state of affairs. Seems pretty similar to me. Sure one's more complex but basically have the same principle.

A more apt comparison would be to a false prophet who creates a religion or cult

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

A more apt comparison would be to a false prophet who creates a religion or cult

Fun historical fact time!
1923: osteopathic medicine was declared a cult
1955: AMA commission recommended that the cult status should be removed
1969: AMA got around to declaring osteopathic medicine not a cult after all

(Not going to get into an debate about the merits and lack thereof of AT Still. Just excited that memorizing these tidbits finally turned out to have conversational value)

Reactions: 10 users

Thanks man. Just curious. Do you think the British thought the US was a cult?

I didn't think you were trolling Tabster.
Haha I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not. I know people are quick to label someone a troll on here because many people do on the Internet but I seriously don't intentionally try to troll someone