Changing Bachelor's Degree for Pre-Med GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyman22336

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know what the title sounds like, but this isn't the case. I have all of my science prerequisites for the majority of med-schools taken. Including all of the chemistry courses, biology courses, anatomy courses, and the physics. I was majoring in chemistry and was planning on continuing in that to do my bachelor's degree and hopefully get a better GPA (I started off undergrad bad and had to do some retakes, which most MD schools will average). The only problem is I will only be able to go to school in the summers and I know the majority of upper level chemistry and even biology courses are only offered in spring and fall semesters, so I know I'll never be able to complete my BS degree or up my GPA at that rate in order to apply for medical school in the future. With that said, I was thinking of changing my major to one, hopefully in mathematics, physics, psychology, or computer science, that will allow me to up my GPA and finish all of the required prerequisites, even though I only attend the local university in the summer. Do you think any of the four majors that I listed will offer all the necessary upper level courses needed to graduate in the summers as well? I hope this decision doesn't look bad to med school committees.I can't explain my situation but my only choice for attending university is summers, unless that changes in the future. I will be trying to go two to four classes per summer. During fall and spring semesters, I'll be working and volunteering to get experience that will help my application. What do you suggest regarding this matter?

Members don't see this ad.

I tried hard to find a university that offers upper level chemistry and biology courses to fix my situation but unfortunately, those courses necessary to graduate aren't all offered in the summer. So I want to know if any of you have any experience as to the other majors and if there is more options available in the summer in order to be able to finish.

Hard to say really, not even the psych major is going to be better if you're only 4 courses away from completing the chemistry major.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to say really, not even the psych major is going to be better if you're only 4 courses away from completing the chemistry major.

Well the only chemistry courses I currently have are general chem 1 and 2 and organic chem 1 and 2, all with labs. I'd still need bio chem with lab, analytical with lab, physical 1 and 2 with lab, inorganic with lab, and some other 1 or 2 credit chemistry seminars. But yeah, so I still have about a year of full time with that anyways, but I want to find a major that has more classes available in summer that I could finish if I attend summers only. Cause almost all universities just offer general and organic chems during the summer and one I lucked out they offer biochems, but I'd never have a chance to finish the other ones I'd need. So I wonder if Math, Physics, Computer Science, or Psychology offer all necessary classes needed for a BS in summers so I can do that. I'm doing it to finish a BS and also to up my undergrad GPA cause in a few years, I want to apply to medical school.

I'm starting to think I'll just take random four credit classes in each of these subjects until I have enough of them to raise my GPA and quite a few solid semesters of A's. Then once I'm able to come back in fall and spring (which won't be until another 2 or 3 years) I'll finish the BS in chem. That's unless I can currently find a major that offers all of it's classes in the summers.

With that said, I was thinking of changing my major to one, hopefully in mathematics, physics, psychology, or computer science, that will allow me to up my GPA and finish all of the required prerequisites, even though I only attend the local university in the summer.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but unless you're a genius it's not going to work that way.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but unless you're a genius it's not going to work that way.

Why a genius? I meant change my major to one of those (depending on which offers the majority of its courses in the summer) and take about 1 or 2 classes per summer until I'm able to finish. I chose those because I do have an interest in them, and I'm fine with whichever one has the most classes available.

Maybe I read it wrong, but why can't you go to school during the year? I don't understand.. But trust me you DO NOT want to load up on hard science classes for the summer. One at a time is fine, but if you're thinking about taking a lot of hardcore science classes during the summer you my friend have something else coming and it isn't pretty. Granted, this is just from my experience but at my school the courses are three months long for a year sequence and you're not allowed to take more then one. Ex: can't take physics and ochem summer school at the same time. That would just be insane. Again, why cant you go during the year? did I read it wrong?

I think the point was, that, in most people's experiences, Bio/Chem classes are easier than Math/Engineering classes.

Maybe I read it wrong, but why can't you go to school during the year? I don't understand.. But trust me you DO NOT want to load up on hard science classes for the summer. One at a time is fine, but if you're thinking about taking a lot of hardcore science classes during the summer you my friend have something else coming and it isn't pretty. Granted, this is just from my experience but at my school the courses are three months long for a year sequence and you're not allowed to take more then one. Ex: can't take physics and ochem summer school at the same time. That would just be insane. Again, why cant you go during the year? did I read it wrong?

:thumbup:

Yea, why can't you go to school during the... school year..:confused:

I will not be able to because of family issues that I am having. It's a long story I'd rather not get into. And no, I wasn't planning to take too many, just two summer classes, one in summer 1, and one in summer 2.

I want to take chemistry and bio classes but most aren't available during summer only so I'm looking to see if any math, physics, or other ones are. I'm not saying anythings easier than the other, I just want whatever is available the most to continue working on a BS degree and work hard and get a higher GPA. All these classes are intense but I'm willing to work very hard, especially in the summers because of the intensiveness and face pace environment it contains.

I was just trying to ask if any of you knew which degree would have more class availability during summer sessions so I'd be able to accomplish this goal.

Why a genius? I meant change my major to one of those (depending on which offers the majority of its courses in the summer) and take about 1 or 2 classes per summer until I'm able to finish. I chose those because I do have an interest in them, and I'm fine with whichever one has the most classes available.

In general, math/physics/CS classes can be a lot more difficult than biology or chemistry. It depends on how the classes are taught at your school, but sometimes you need a certain innate mathematical ability to do well on homework/exams. I've had some upper level math assignments where I've been stuck for hours and when I see the solution I'm just like "wow, I never would have thought of that....ever."

just fyi, switching to physics, math, cs to up your gpa will NOT BE PLEASANT. even if it's your interest, math heavy majors are known for killing gpa and being insanely difficult.

I think your #1 thing to do right now is go to the university and make an appointment with a pre med advisor, get as much information as possible and try and figure out a rough outline of your goals and plan. Personally i don't think it's a good idea to just take filler classes and classes here and there to boost up the GPA unless they're upper division biology classes or some other science course after you have taken whatever you need to graduate or have a plan, but its just my opinion. The university should have paperwork for you to see what classes are needed for which majors and you might be able to talk to them about your situation and get a better idea of what classes are usually taught during the summer, if any are taught at night etc (don't know if that would work for your situation). Good luck OP!

Last edited:
Thank all of you for your responses. I've done fairly well for the math classes I have taken. Aced Cal 1 and College Physics 1, and would be doing the other prereqs slowly. I've spoken to my University pre-med advisor and considering my situation they said I'd never be able to finish my BS in chem doing summers only, so that's the only thing I can do is take as many bio, chem, and math classes I can get my hands onto until the year has come where I'll be able to go during the fall and actually complete the BS degree.

What are some good volunteering things to do while I'm waiting?

I will not be able to because of family issues that I am having. It's a long story I'd rather not get into. .

Careful with this. Med school isn't going to be any easier for you if these persist. Take care of them ASAP.

smileyman22336 said:
What are some good volunteering things to do while I'm waiting?

Clinical experience. Find a hospital and volunteer. Research is definitely something you need to boost your application too. Find something that interests you.

Does your school offer a general science major/degree in which a few classes of each subject are enough ? I know someone who had a BA, then did a post bac for pre-med and all those required classes enabled him to get a BS in general science. Of course, he had already taken all the gen ed. classes for the BA. My friend graduated from med school last year and matched very well to a top program.