Changing Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM1001

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a few years out of residency and unfortunately in a position where I need to change jobs to relocate to another state. I've been in the same job since graduating from residency and have just made this decision.

Obviously I will need to get licensed in the other state, job search/interview there, and several other steps before being able to move and get started. I'm wondering whats typical for how people usually go about this? At what point did you tell your current job that you are leaving? (I imagine they will find out when I apply for an out of state license or if somewhere I'm looking calls to get a reference?)

From my standpoint, I think I'll be leaving on good terms, so that's not so much the problem, I just want the timing to line up as much as possible to avoid any large gaps in employment or anyone feeling like I wasn't being forthcoming about my intentions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Give them the notice they require, no more. If you give them more, you may end up with an unplanned "gap" in your work as they find somebody else to fill your role early.
They will have no idea you're applying in another state. You don't have to give them references to anyone at your current work if you don't want. They won't cold call references unless one of your other references calls you a bad apple.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would give them exactly the amount of notice that your termination clause dictates which is usually 90d. Too much and you risk them finding someone else to replace you before you are ready to exit combined with the fact that once you announce your intention to leave, no one is particularly invested in honoring your requests each month (fewer shifts, more nights, etc..). Too few and you risk pissing someone off enough to call you out on breaking your termination clause or giving you a bad reference which I would think would be exceedingly rare for the sole reason of leaving for another job. Plus, it's unprofessional to quit suddenly without proper notice. Barring some extenuating circumstances, you should always try to honor the notice requirement in your contract.

I wouldn't worry about potential bad references unless you are leaving under poor circumstances. Many places will want colleague references along with the reference of your current medical director which are relatively easy to obtain.

As a veteran colleague once told me when I was fresh out and leaving my first job "Groove...it's damn near impossible to burn bridges in this business... Sooner or later, everyone wants or needs you to work for them again." He was right. Unless you ran naked through the ED, phoned up your CEO on the loudspeaker screaming obscenities, stole percocets from the Pyxis or slept with a patient, etc.. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Always do the right thing in life and everything works out. And if it doesn't you will sleep well.

Your first priority is yourself and not the CMG. You are definitely not their first priority.

If you have a 90 day out clause, give them 90 days notice. I would make sure you have a license/job in hand before giving the 90 dys unless you want to be without work for months.

Some states/hospitals takes a crazy amount of time to get you state license, hospital privileges, etc......

So if your goal is to have very little time off between jobs, I would make sure my state license/privileges are quite firm before giving the 90 days.

I have seen too many people who expected to get their license/privileges in time but ended up 2-3 months delays.

Reactions: 1 user
Enticed by a high salary, the job I took just out of residency (Graduated June 2018) that has turned out to be kind of a nightmare. I think the practice environment is unsafe and I want to leave.

The medical director asked me point black prior to signing if I would be willing to stay at least a few years to which I said yes, at the time. After hiring me they subsequently reduced their per diem docs. My contract stipulates 3 months notice. Will I burn bridges if I leave before a year? Should I care since I'm unhappy and want to leave. I honestly feel bad because they'll have to scramble for coverage if I leave and I think it's a hard spot to fill.

Enticed by a high salary, the job I took just out of residency (Graduated June 2018) that has turned out to be kind of a nightmare. I think the practice environment is unsafe and I want to leave.

The medical director asked me point black prior to signing if I would be willing to stay at least a few years to which I said yes, at the time. After hiring me they subsequently reduced their per diem docs. My contract stipulates 3 months notice. Will I burn bridges if I leave before a year? Should I care since I'm unhappy and want to leave. I honestly feel bad because they'll have to scramble for coverage if I leave and I think it's a hard spot to fill.

Find a job, give contractually-obligated notice. There's a reason why they asked if you were willing to stay for a few years. If you honestly think it's an unsafe practice environment, why even debate it?

Reactions: 1 user

It's not show friends, it's show business.

Business is sociopathic. Don't feel bad, because they don't. Get out while you can.

Reactions: 2 users
Will I burn bridges if I leave before a year?

You should honor your ethics and do what you think is right. But there's no reason to worry about burning a bridge that you'll never want to cross again.

Reactions: 2 users

Don't throw good time after bad. If their CMG needs changed, they wouldn't be loyal to you, would they?

Find another job you like, come up with some flattering reason you want to leave (you wanted to switch to academics, you needed a different commute, or don't give them one at all) and and tell them how great the job was and that if it's a great fit in the future, you'd be happy to come back. Give them the minimum notice for the same reasons everyone else mentioned, and if you might be interested in going back, tell them you'd like to stay on per diem.

The reasons you have given are very solid for leaving, so leave if you find something you like better.

This happens a lot to new grads. Start looking at other places but make sure you don’t get into a similar situation elsewhere.

If you took a sign on bonus... be prepared to pay it back in full before you leave.

You can leave before the year is over, just give the contractually obligated notice.

Lastly, don’t put in a notice until you have secured another job and gotten through most of the credentialling.