Changing Osteopathic Medicine ... would you join?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many of you would be interested in participating?

• Yes, I'm a medical student

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • No, I'm a medical student

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Yes, I'm a resident in an AOA residency

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • No, I'm a resident in an AOA residency

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Yes, I'm a resident in an ACGME residency

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • No, I'm a resident in an ACGME residency

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yes, I'm an osteopathic physician

• No, I'm an osteopathic physician

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I'm part of another group (school admin, etc)

• No, I'm part of another group (school admin, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be damn near shocked if you knew the difference between rib raising and picking your nose. (I was going to say "scratching your ass" but I thought it might come across as malignant)

Congrats, you have found me out. I'm a MD-wanna be who merely tolerated OMM to become an physician. Go ahead and fathom your own greatness in your own mind and go ahead and tell yourself that really have these great prognostic abilities when it comes to knowing anything about a semi-anonymous person on an internet chat room. While you are at it, why don't you throw in a few Goodwin's Law violations? I was very active in the UAAO and an officer, and I have bee to several AAO conventions, I may not have taken a whole extra year extra for OMT, but don't for a moment think that this alone gives you the supreme moral authority to determine who does and doesn't know how to utilize OMM

So youre a watchdog group looking out for the best interests of practicing osteopathic physicians?

Again, thank you for putting words in my mouth.

By complaining about COMLEX and for-profit schools?

Yes, those were the only two issues which I've mentioned. :rolleyes:

My big question is this: Will the group have a secret hand shake? If so I might be in...actually I would like some super cool "organizational clothing" too, like a fez with a bone on it and some harry potter like robes.

Despite JP's assertions to the others, the only reason why there are not names and complete disclosure of everything at this point is because this is simply planning phase. There is no organization, there are no members, there are no officer. There literally is nothing to disclose.

This is silly, why not start a secret organization to make DOs what they should be, "better than", instead of trying to push us all back and make us the "same as".

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea. I've stated several times that we should simply hold ourselves to a higher standard. And I've never promoted conformity, simply improvement.

In all seriousness, JP - perhaps you are correct and the listening audience is misinformed and inexperienced. Perhaps you have more insight into the plight of osteopathic medicine. Instead of pointing out the flawed ideas being discussed, why not help cultivate them so that they represent the entire osteopathic community, not just the misinformed students. You say that you have prior commitments (your residency) but if you have time to criticize, couldn't you find time to help out?

Unfortunately, not every Osteopathic medical student or physician is lucky enough to have their own personal JP to inform about the issues. Perhaps this is another reason why such an organization is needed? Instead of obtaining Daily Reports which don't contain much in the way of real updates?

I have already pointed out several more important issues and have tried to correct the misinformation.

And yes you fail to realize that 2/3 of your issues would require direct lobbying to legislation which would be extremely cumbersome and require much legal hoop jumping to set that organization up. Organizations which participate in lobbying and political campaigning are required by law to register and are highly scrutinized and regulated by the IRS. That is not the initial goal of the proposed organization, and should be rightfully left to the AOA. Any input from the proposed organization's end would be simply to encourage the AOA's input and action in the legislation.

Actually, I was probably just disagreeing with you because I dont like you. But you can perceive it any way you like.

Shocking.

Members don't see this ad.

JayneCobb

You are quite the histrionic young lady. Any more drama from you and your could start your own theater troop.

"JayneCobb and the Osteopathic Histrionics"

For short people would call you guys "JC & the OHs"

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey JP, how much sleep are you getting during your internship right now?

Is it death camp or is it worthwhile thus far?

To tell u the truth if I was JP, I would rather get some sleep than trying to prove something to people on SDN...

JP, instead of wasting your time proving something to people who seem dont get the point :) better write me a nice PM about what I have to do while in medical school so I can be competitive for PCOM general surgery residency in 4 years :):):) ;)

JayneCobb

You are quite the histrionic young lady. Any more drama from you and your could start your own theater troop.

"JayneCobb and the Osteopathic Histrionics"

For short people would call you guys "JC & the OHs"

:laugh:

Sleep isnt the problem. I dont get/need much anyway. Worthwhile? Every second of the day...

I am so jealous;):):)

I have a sleep problem, 4 hours of sleep is enough for me and I dont sleep more...I guess when school starts I'll study all the time, at least my night sleeping time will be productive....

This sounds awfully similar to say the government. Yet history is bounding with examples of how organizations such as the AARP, ACLU, NRA, etc, etc as out side entities who are able to influence and direct legislation towards change. The AOA is not a democracy, and if I've read it's charter correctly it's not even a repblic, meaning I really don't have all that much say in the AOA unless I'm on the board. And that's fine, I have no aspirations of political ambition and would rather spend the time in the ICU, but that does not mean that I do not want my opinion heard on how we can continually improve the Osteopathic world. However, there seems to be little way that someone who cares about Osteopathy but does not wish to be bogged down in the political hob-knobbing and ass kissing politics to make their opinions known. The AOA needs to know that there are many of us who are out there and who care about our profession who would like to see more done and changes brought about. What is good for the profession may not always be what is also good for the AOA. And admit it, when you have 1 person emailing you that this needs to be done, it is easy to ignore them. But if you had an organization who took the time to stay on top of the issues, stayed on top of what was going before the AOA, and allowed it's members the opportunity to contact the AOA and voice their opinions in much larger numbers, there very well could be an influence in their decisions.

It will be interesting to see if what response Dr Mychaskiw managed to elicit over Rocky Vista and to see if any changes in the accreditation will occur.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." I may not have all the answers, I may not know as much as I think I know, but I fail to see how having an organization which gives the means for us to stay on top of the issues on what is affecting our profession and giving us a means to at least make it easier to contact the people who need to hear your opinion.

I have more to say, but I'm on call tonight.

Jayne Cobb,
Not to take anything away from your arguments and as a resident you surely know more about the subject than I do, but what exactly is the AOA doing, or not doing, that fails to represent interests of majority of DO students and physicians?

Now, I can guess that because only 25% of osteopaths actually practice OMM, 75% would prefer that the AOA change the "O" to an "M" and do away with anything that is not allopathic. I don't agree with that and my guess is that neither do the leaders in the AOA.

My suggestion would be that those who want to practice allopathic medicine only should obtain allopathic medical credentials in the U.S. or the Caribbean and leave osteopathy to those who truly support and practice it.

Having said that, I agree that this for-profit school in Colorado sounds like the wrong direction in an era when osteopathy is struggling to be seen as respectable and deserving of research grants.

JP, instead of wasting your time proving something to people who seem dont get the point :) better write me a nice PM about what I have to do while in medical school so I can be competitive for PCOM general surgery residency in 4 years :):):) ;)

I knew you were saying all these nice things for a reason! Youre USING me!

You better be cute.

deleted, since got already too much attention to my pathetic person instead of focusing on "Changing Osteopathic Medicine..."

I am using u for what...??? :)

No, I don't use people, especially people who I like :) So don't worry :) But if u want to be used than u better tell me how u want me to use u since I am really cannot use people...

Well what do u mean by cute?:) Cuteness is a different thing for different people..and if u mean physically cute hmmm I have a link with my pictures on myspace.com it is in my signature:) You can check them out and tell me if I passed your "cuteness" screening :)

Does being cute has to do something with PCOM general surgery residency:)??

wow...youre pathetic

QFT

Most smileys used in a single post in SDN history...

I cannot see them on my comp. I actually cannot see any expressions on my comp,but I think this particular SDN thread needs some smileys.

I am using u for what...??? :)

No, I don't use people, especially people who I like :) So don't worry :) But if u want to be used than u better tell me how u want me to use u since I am really cannot use people...

Well what do u mean by cute?:) Cuteness is a different thing for different people..and if u mean physically cute hmmm I have a link with my pictures on myspace.com it is in my signature:) You can check them out and tell me if I passed your "cuteness" screening :)

Does being cute has to do something with PCOM general surgery residency:)??

JP's a good guy around here and his advice and experience are much appreciated; however, every single one of your posts (in relation to JP) has been sickening and pretty damn close to obsessive.

That's just pathetic. Show some spine. :barf:

I cannot see them on my comp. I actually cannot see any expressions on my comp,but I think this particular SDN thread needs some smileys.

its not so much the smileys, its more that ure kissing his a$$ every 5 seconds...

its not so much the smileys, its more that ure kissing his a$$ every 5 seconds...

I am not kissing anybody's ass and I am not obsessive I am just being silly as I said.

i guess the joke was bad and i did not know that for my silly and stupid post that I posted for fun I will be called pathetic and a#$% kisser. Whatever....

JP's a good guy around here and his advice and experience are much appreciated; however, every single one of your posts (in relation to JP) has been sickening and pretty damn close to obsessive.

That's just pathetic. Show some spine. :barf:

Sounds like someone is jealous. ;)

:laugh:

No thanks. She's all yours. I have a girl of my own. :thumbup:

BTW, I was able to perform some endoscopies. Very cool experience, very much needing good hand-eye coordination.

Out of curiosity, how many MD students rotate at PCOM during their 4th year and how many MD interns/residents are in their gen surg residency program?

Out of curiosity, how many MD students rotate at PCOM during their 4th year and how many MD interns/residents are in their gen surg residency program?

None at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.