Changing perceptions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed this personally, but several of my colleagues have commented on attendings that they loved to work with when they were interns are no longer on the top of the list - the residents are improving, but the attendings are doing the same thing.

Anybody else feel that way - that you are outgrowing some of your staff, and growing into others? Since I have done (and still do) "my thing", I don't feel a difference. Maybe it's the way I carry myself, but I haven't felt "boxed in", so I have no liberation to go to.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting question. I think all of us at some point felt a little restricted by what we viewed as overly-doting/controlling attendings at some point in our training. For most of us that came sometime during the middle of the second year. I don't know that I'd call it "outgrowing" them, but it's part of the teaching process to know when the resident needs more freedom and less handholding. Most residents will find that time at their own pace. Some will need to be restrained (the scary ones), and others will need to be pushed (the frustrating ones).

I found that to be true. As an intern I appreciated anyone who was easy to be around and taught. When I was a senior (and the one in charge of moving the meat) I liked the guys that were fast. It was terrible when you'd have someone who was slow and the world was coming to an end. "You know, I'd just love to hear your monologue on IIb/IIIa inhibitors again but a bus full of osteoporitic grannies on Coumadin just rolled down a hillside and they're on their way so unless you can grunt 16 monitored beds out of your ass shut up and write some discharge orders."

docB said:
"You know, I'd just love to hear your monologue on IIb/IIIa inhibitors again but a bus full of osteoporitic grannies on Coumadin just rolled down a hillside and they're on their way so unless you can grunt 16 monitored beds out of your ass shut up and write some discharge orders."
Our version of that nightmare scenario was an MVA involving an overturned schoolbus full of hemophiliac kids.