Changing sentiment toward online classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harrothere

Pre-Med Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the issue of taking online classes has been discussed before, but I just emailed MCW on a whim to see what their "official stance" was on the issue.

My question was basically, "I am thinking about taking non-prereq. online classes from my home state because I live far away and it would be cheaper than taking classes in person out-of-state"

Their response was overwhelmingly negative:
"While the committee is still dealing with the issue of on-line
coursework, it is strongly discouraged and none of the prerequisite coursework is acceptable on-line."

Did I just catch someone having a bad day? My reason for taking online classes is monetary and due to scheduling (i'll be working full time, so i wont be able to find the classes I want at the times I am available). The response makes me think that they see online classes as... "Them little ****ers are trying to pad their stats with easy classes!!11!eleven1!"

Has anyone else gotten this negative response to online classes recently? I thought it was mostly a non-issue, especially with non-prereq classes.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really understand why they wouldn't accept online classes. You are still learning the exact same material and taking the same tests (at least for my schools).

I took Physics I online and it was much harder than Physics II for me, which I took in a lecture during the school year.

I bet it was someone just having a bad day.

One thing that you could look into is whether it will say on your transcripts whether the class was online. I've taken several online classes but on my transcripts it just says "ENG 201" or "PSYCH 100"----absolutely no indication that it was online.

Members don't see this ad :)
err....I'm not sure how online classes work, but usually they're a joke (at least at my school).

How did you do physics online? Did you take tests online as well?

I've heard that some online classes are a breeze (multiple choice work sheets with multiple submissions...) but all of the online classes I took had proctored exams. Lectures were posted as online videos, and there were 4 exams where I had to sit like two feet away from a certified exam proctor as I sweated out the two-hour time limit.

I guess it's true that the classes I want to take wouldn't signify whether or not it was taken online on a my transcript, but with a little footwork the ad com would be able to see that I was taking a half-time load of classes from Minnesota while I was working full-time in Massachusetts :)

One thing that you could look into is whether it will say on your transcripts whether the class was online. I've taken several online classes but on my transcripts it just says "ENG 201" or "PSYCH 100"----absolutely no indication that it was online.

Same at my school. Doesn't matter what they think of online classes if they can't see it was online.

err....I'm not sure how online classes work, but usually they're a joke (at least at my school).

How did you do physics online? Did you take tests online as well?

Nope, the tests were proctored on campus (I took it over the summer so I drove up to my school 5 times over the course of the summer to test it up). Supposedly the tests are identical to the in class tests during the same semester. Basically the lectures are posted online and you have to teach yourself physics. Fortunately, I had a cool physics teacher in high school who helped me out because teaching physics to yourself can be a bit confusing at times (probably why it was harder than Physics II, not really based on the material).

Did I just catch someone having a bad day? My reason for taking online classes is monetary and due to scheduling

Nope. Online classes may someday be viewed acceptably, but currently most med schools frown upon them. The one exception I have heard is for folks overseas in the armed forces, in which case on-line schooling is viewed as a necessary evil. But otherwise, med schools strongly prefer that you take all your classes at real, brick and mortar institutions, in person. If your school doesn't reveal that you are taking it online, then I suppose the med schools won't likely check into it. But saving money or scheduling have never been regarded by med schools as reasons to deviate from the normal in class expectations. More than a few people have had to relocate to take the classes they needed. Sorry.

Thanks for the response, but I must clarify.

I don't "need" the classes that I am considering taking. I graduated in June with all of the necessary requirements for med school (and then some) and would like to take the courses for a couple reasons. I want to take a genetics course because it pertains directly to my work, but I would like to take an anatomy course too because I could never fit it into my undergraduate schedule before I graduated and I figured it is probably important for a physician to have a strong understanding of anatomy. I do foresee the classes improving my science GPA, but the ultimate goal is self-betterment and a strong narrative for my med. school application (working full time, taking classes, AND living the dream). So in the end, I'll probably take the courses anyway, may the ad coms be damned.

The "issue" of online courses is something that definitely needs to get ironed out with medical schools in the near future. There are many legitimate and fabulous courses out there that offer the advantage of scheduling and cost. And as much faith is put into brick and mortar institution courses, there are still a fair amount of wank-off courses slipping through.

ALSO NOTE: I find it incredibly strange that MCW of all schools would have reservations about online classes. I have friends who currently attend medical school there and I know that they have all of their med school lectures posted online via podcasts, so you don't have to attend classes in person...

I got my BA from University of Phoenix and a local CC for my prereqs and I am having tremendous success this cycle.

I don't know how adcoms will look at your transcript if all courses are online. The one problem I see in online courses is the lack of social interaction, which is an important aspect of admissions. However, if you have strong mcats, lots of social activities, volunteers...etc, I'm sure you'll get in a lot of medschools even if all your courses r online.

I see why they wouldn't want major prereqs done online. I did take Psych, Precalc and Biotech online though, and they were more work than if they were regular lecture. I wouldn't want to take another online because it is more work. So I don't understand why they discourage this really...you have to learn the material either way and with online classes, you're teaching it to yourself. I never had time during tests since they were timed to look up answers.

I don't really get the stigma. I mean half my science classes were recorded and posted online (at least audio but usually video/lecture slides) so no one ever showed up anyway except for labs and tests. :rolleyes:

I took Organic II online and Calculus I online not to mention several other courses which were not prerequisites. There's no indication on my transcript that they were taken online, so you should check yours to see if its the same. I've never heard of online courses being a problem before...