Changing to a non science major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcfa002

UCSF SoP c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm bio right now, and have been thinking about changing to finance. I only need anatomy, physiology, and microbio as far as prereqs go. My science gpa is 3.69(overall is 3.45), so depending on my last prereqs it should be fine. Would I have less of a chance to get in as a business major and not a science major?

Members don't see this ad.

eeek finance!!

lol just kidding :p if you really like it, go for it! as long as you have all of your pre-reqs done for pharmacy school then choose any major that you are interested it. As far as I know, schools don't care what your major is because most don't require a degree, and many schools mainly look at your pre-req GPA. In fact, I know a few schools that would think of you as a more well-rounded individual because you're not the typical Bio/Chem/Biochem major. Don't sweat it :)

As long as you complete your prerequisites, you can major in anything, even if it's Underwater Basketweaving.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you complete your prerequisites, you can major in anything, even if it's Underwater Basketweaving.
lol alright thanks. I am going to look more into it, but I recently got involved in the stock market, and really enjoy it

lol alright thanks. I am going to look more into it, but I recently got involved in the stock market, and really enjoy it
I'm an Accounting major myself (with a second major in Biology), and my school offers a portfolio management class. Students in the class get to invest $300,000 (real money, not paper money) over the course of the year. It sounded so cool, but unfortunately I could not take the class. Go for it! Who knows, you might be investing my money for me someday :laugh:.

I'm bio right now, and have been thinking about changing to finance. I only need anatomy, physiology, and microbio as far as prereqs go. My science gpa is 3.69(overall is 3.45), so depending on my last prereqs it should be fine. Would I have less of a chance to get in as a business major and not a science major?

If anything you probably have a higher chance of getting in - some schools ( UCSF, hmmm,hmmm )seem to almost prefer non-traditional non-science major students. I swear everybody I know who got accepted/interviewed there is either psychology, computer science, sociology or literture major.
Remain a science major if you want to continue being an unwholesome not well-rounded geek but if you truly want to get somewhere in life I suggest you run to the registars office first thing tomorrow morning
Laie_76C.gif
and switch to business.:laugh:

Personally, I should have majored in French - majoring in chemistry/biochemistry was the stupidest thing I've done ( too late now I guess.
Laie_62B.gif
) Not only I would have fluently spoke the most beautifull language in the world, but I would have had a much easier time chatting up hot french guys in case if I ever needed too.
spruce_up.gif

if you like it and have your prereqs then go for it!

If anything you probably have a higher chance of getting in - some schools ( UCSF, hmmm,hmmm )seem to almost prefer non-traditional non-science major students. I swear everybody I know who got accepted/interviewed there is either psychology, computer science, sociology or literture major.
Remain a science major if you want to continue being an unwholesome not well-rounded geek but if you truly want to get somewhere in life I suggest you run to the registars office first thing tomorrow morning
Laie_76C.gif
and switch to business.:laugh:

Personally, I should have majored in French - majoring in chemistry/biochemistry was the stupidest thing I've done ( too late now I guess.
Laie_62B.gif
) Not only I would have fluently spoke the most beautifull language in the world, but I would have had a much easier time chatting up hot french guys in case if I ever needed too.
spruce_up.gif
I sent some emails out, and I'll talk to some friends as well. Thanks for the encouragement

if you like it and have your prereqs then go for it!
thanks for the encouragement:thumbup:

I decided to dig this post instead of start a new one. I was wondering if I would have the same advantage if I minored in finance?

I have the same problem. I still have pre-med as the major listed at CC. Do they put majors in transcripts?

No problem. I was an Interior Design major - applied to 2 pharmacy schools, and accepted to both first round! A P1 for next year at my school was a fine arts major, and she was accepted!

From both my interviews, they seemed refreshed to have a non-science major applying - honestly!!