Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Changing to a non science major

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by jmcfa002, May 14, 2008.

1. jmcfa002

jmcfa002 UCSF SoP c/o 2014
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm bio right now, and have been thinking about changing to finance. I only need anatomy, physiology, and microbio as far as prereqs go. My science gpa is 3.69(overall is 3.45), so depending on my last prereqs it should be fine. Would I have less of a chance to get in as a business major and not a science major?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MissCPharmD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    eeek finance!!

lol just kidding :p if you really like it, go for it! as long as you have all of your pre-reqs done for pharmacy school then choose any major that you are interested it. As far as I know, schools don't care what your major is because most don't require a degree, and many schools mainly look at your pre-req GPA. In fact, I know a few schools that would think of you as a more well-rounded individual because you're not the typical Bio/Chem/Biochem major. Don't sweat it :)

4. medicalCPA

medicalCPA Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    As long as you complete your prerequisites, you can major in anything, even if it's Underwater Basketweaving.

5. jmcfa002

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    lol alright thanks. I am going to look more into it, but I recently got involved in the stock market, and really enjoy it

6. medicalCPA

medicalCPA Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I'm an Accounting major myself (with a second major in Biology), and my school offers a portfolio management class. Students in the class get to invest $300,000 (real money, not paper money) over the course of the year. It sounded so cool, but unfortunately I could not take the class. Go for it! Who knows, you might be investing my money for me someday :laugh:.

7. UES Girl

Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If anything you probably have a higher chance of getting in - some schools ( UCSF, hmmm,hmmm )seem to almost prefer non-traditional non-science major students. I swear everybody I know who got accepted/interviewed there is either psychology, computer science, sociology or literture major.
    Remain a science major if you want to continue being an unwholesome not well-rounded geek but if you truly want to get somewhere in life I suggest you run to the registars office first thing tomorrow morning [​IMG]and switch to business.:laugh:

Personally, I should have majored in French - majoring in chemistry/biochemistry was the stupidest thing I've done ( too late now I guess.[​IMG]) Not only I would have fluently spoke the most beautifull language in the world, but I would have had a much easier time chatting up hot french guys in case if I ever needed too.[​IMG]

8. jonnyboi303

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    if you like it and have your prereqs then go for it!

9. jmcfa002

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I sent some emails out, and I'll talk to some friends as well. Thanks for the encouragement

thanks for the encouragement:thumbup:

10. jmcfa002

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I decided to dig this post instead of start a new one. I was wondering if I would have the same advantage if I minored in finance?

11. Luol Deng Fan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have the same problem. I still have pre-med as the major listed at CC. Do they put majors in transcripts?

12. drugdoc

drugdoc Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    No problem. I was an Interior Design major - applied to 2 pharmacy schools, and accepted to both first round! A P1 for next year at my school was a fine arts major, and she was accepted!

From both my interviews, they seemed refreshed to have a non-science major applying - honestly!!

13. Drug Doc

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    wat the...theres two of us :eek:

14. UES Girl

Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist

Wow, I see clones.

[​IMG]