Chatham email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kismet426

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get this email:
"Congratulations on your recent acceptance to our Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program and for submission of your deposit for the program.

As you know, the DPT program has a limited number of seats available for each class in order to maintain the quality of the educational experience (including clinical education). This year, our program has received an unprecedented number of applications, admissions and deposits from our priority admission deadline. This unanticipated surge in deposits over the program's previous year trends has potentially overfilled the class for the incoming year.

As we cannot enroll more than our limit, we would like to begin by offering any interested incoming students the option to defer your admission to fall 2014. This additional year of preparation would provide time to complete any outstanding pre-requisite coursework, gain additional employment experience and save money before starting graduate school. For those who select this offer, we would waive your deposit for next year and refund your deposit from this year.

While this is not an easy (or anticipated) situation, ultimately our program’s success relies on the small size of our cohort, our ability to individually foster the growth of each student and to ensure that we have quality clinical sites available for all of our students.

To discuss the option of deferring your enrollment, to let us know if you have selected another program or for any additional questions you may have, please contact the program's admission representative Lisa Meyers at [email protected] or 412-365-1672 and she will be able to assist you."?

I'm just wondering what's going to happen if they dont get enough people to defer/choose other programs?
How could they keep sending acceptances & taking ppls $ if they were already full?
I understand some extra as there are always some that decide to go else where, etc. but they took so many extra they had to send out this email to everyone??
Also Pt applicants are only increasing in number, so I don't get how letting ppl defer until next year will really help them?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be pretty pissed if I were in your shoes haha. So if they don't get people to defer then what are they going to do, kick people out? If they get people to defer they will most likely not give out as many acceptances next year. I can't believe they kept handing out acceptances without making sure the number of deposits didn't outnumber their available seats. IDK, seems unprofessional to me. Good luck.

This is surprising that they would put this out there so long in advance. They used to only interview a small number for the "priority" admissions, maybe 20-30 applicants. Looks like they went too far in the other direction! That said, because Chatham sends acceptances earlier than many other schools, I don't think it's unusual for people to put a deposit there and change their mind later. There were probably 6 or so people in my class alone, including myself, that put down a deposit at Chatham and chose our program later instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also think it's early for them to send this out but they are supposed to have another set of interviews this weekend. Really curious to see how that turns out

Just curious - anyone else out there get this email/here any further info from Chatham?