Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

chatting anyone?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by kaikai128, Apr 27, 2004.

1. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

I read the posts on here all the time and greatly appreciate some of the advice I find in this forum...I would really kinda like to get to know some other people more in a chatting atmosphere about themselves, their do opinions, etc. All of my friends here at school are going M.D. and I feel as if I always have to defend my decision, I would love to have non-defensive conversations. If anyone is interested...let me know and I will look you up on AOL/Yahoo Messenger.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Aaron Earles

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Hey kaikai,

Dont feel like you have to defend the path you have chosen. Becoming a physician is what you wanted and that is what you will become after four years of hard, laboring work. No matter what you do in life, you will always have critics that try to analyze everything you do. MDs catch a lot of flack too, it is not isolated to only the DOs.

Where are you attending school in the fall. I have aol so if you want to add me to contact list that is fine. Would love to chat with ya. Take care and keep your chin up. Peace.

Aaron

4. Richie Truxillo

Richie Truxillo Your Scut Monkey Mentor
    Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As someone who has met and worked with hundreds of doctors, I can assure you that it doesn't matter so much if you are an M.D. or a D.O., but rather if you can do the job. It's a combination of personalty, mental dexterity and your willingness to reach your potential.

As a urologist once told me...

"Hell Rich, it ain't rocket science, ya scope a couple people and ya learn how to do it. It's just like plumbing, except it's a person the spicket is attached to!"

I feel rather good with my decision as it fits my personality and my vision of practice best. :) Don't ever let anyone give ya flak ;) We're all in the same boat together. If anything we should all unite against the evils of Managed Care :)

Best Regards,
    Richie :)

5. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

Thanks...I am quite sure in my decision to go to D.O. school. However, living in the midwest in a state that only has one M.D. school...and actually going to school on the campus where their main program is leads to a lot of people who have tunnel vision. I am just incredibly tired of people going...what is a D.O.??? Is that a real doctor??? Where have these people been their entire lives?

6. Richie Truxillo

Richie Truxillo Your Scut Monkey Mentor
    Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's the AOA's fault for not advertising the profession more. I hope they bring it up at the annual meeting in San Francisco this year. A "What is a DO?" commerical would be killer on prime time TV and it would be beans compared to the impact it would have on the profession.

7. BklynWill

BklynWill EM Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I suppose we need to get used to the questions, and get used to answering them. I mean, how else will people learn what a DO is unless we tell them?
    You will probably be describing maladies to your patients for the rest of your career. I'm sure you will be able to explain your job too.

8. Aaron Earles

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It is tough to go to a school where they have an MD school. However, there is also a DO school in my state and two other ones with a two to three hour drive. I honestly think that DOs are getting more recognition now that more schools are opening up and more students are going DO.

A TV add would be a pretty neat advertisement trick. Anyway, just my $0.02.

Aaron

9. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

I agree...I wish Purdue would decide to start up a D.O. program...that would be wonderful. I don't mind explaining the profession to people, it is the people who go...so you can't be a real doctor? Or those who think I am applying D.O. because I got rejected from IUMed (which I didn't even apply to). I guess it is just unnerving at times, one of those particular days being yesterday. :p

10. NDESTRUKT

NDESTRUKT Fadeproof
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    kaikai,

you go to purdue? wow I went to purdue!!!! i don't think purdue can start a DO program because indiana's charter way back then decided that the state would set up 1 med school and it would be under Indiana University's jurisdiction, and since Purdue is a state school...well...yeah. In fact, one of IUMC's campuses is at Purdue. I will be going to Purdue for my first 2 years next year...I'm somewhat excited, somewhat not lol.

don't worry about people with the DO ignorance. They'll find out someday and DO is a great thing. Chicago has a great DO school, I loved it there! The DO school in Iowa is also good if you wanna stay in the Midwest. I chose IU Med because well...the tuition was lower for me and my gf is closer if I go here, but don't let anyone discourage you from going DO =).

You can IM me anytime you want!

-- Jonathan --

11. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

Hey there. Actually, because of scholarships offered at the other campus, I am currently @ IUPUI :( yuck...however, my degree will still say Purdue...so for all practical purposes I go to Purdue. However, I don't get to have the college life that is there. I am only an hour away, so I can still go there to party for breakfast club and spend my time at Harrys. Anyhow, I am actually interested in getting out of the midwest. I will probably apply to a few schools around here...but I am hoping for something warm and sunny. :) Maybe AZCOM, FLECOM, etc. Keep me updated on TUCOM and what you are thinking of it after you get there

12. NDESTRUKT

NDESTRUKT Fadeproof
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    you weren't talking to me about TUCOM were you? I did interview there and at AZCOM. I think of all the DO schools, CCOM was the best. AZCOM was SOOOO hot. TUCOM wasn't that great - it's kind of in a run down place but SF is great, so that's a plus. I heard Nova Southeastern is nice and NYCOM too. Best of luck to you though! =)

13. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

Sorry...I was talking to two people, had two ppl metion PU...I think I got the two of you mixed up...oops. :confused: