lens material may be as good as other providers, but you should not compare the "quality" of coatings (ie anti-glare), or frame materials that Wal-mart offer, to other providers. Not to mention, the "quality" of some of the wal-mart staff (no offense). I once leased space at a walmart right after school, and these people had no training what so ever. I remember a patient complaining about a pair of glasses they had picked up a week ago, after the Rx had been checked by 3 assistants, the office manager, and an "ophthalmic dispenser", no problem was found. I then checked them and realized that one of the progressive lenses was upside down!! Hard to imagine anybody missing this, lucky he did not get into an accident. I know this does not apply to all walmart staff, but it does point out the length to which walmart will go to cut costs, by hiring people with no skills. You are right about bulk purchasing affecting the net cost for materials, but far more significant is the type of cheap materials purchased. If your funds are limited, walmart may be your only option, but if you want quality eyewear, you are always better off, at a private office.