Cheap Diagnostic kit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my school tells me that I need to get a diagnostic kit w/ ophthalmoscope and otoscope. It is probably not urgent this year but just from talking w/ other students and I know I will need it for the neuro rotation. Personally I don't want to drop $500+ on the Welch Allyn lithium-ion set. Has anyone bought a cheap set that worked well?

Members don't see this ad.

[Looks at hands . . . points at head] I've got my diagnostic set right here.

Unless you are going into ENT, peds or ophthalmology buy the cheapest one you can find. I am sure that they will all work fine for the limited amount that you will actually use them. The only reason I might spend more is to buy a pan-optic because they are REALLY nice. Still, you probably won't have a ton of use for it unless you go into ophtho.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try asking a third or fourth year if they are willing to sell you their set for cheap. I got a complete Welch Allyn NiCad otoscope/opthalmoscope rechargeable set ($450-500 online or student pricing from many distributors) for $200 and it was barely used. It's still covered by their student warranty which will run out for me in 7 years.

well it's definitely not a welch . the only thing that mine didn't have was the insuffulator for the otoscope and the different lights on the opthalmoscope (green light, regular light, and a cross hair).

like i said, definitely not pimpy but i hate to drop 5 bens on something and not really use it besides practicing on each other and standardized patients.

I got this unit :D www.otoscopes.us/ophthalmoscope-otoscope-kit.htm which I really like. The otoscope is excellent and the opthalmoscope is decent enough to get by. My Uncle who is a practicing physician advised me not to throw my money away on an expensive kit at this time. He said that I would find most hospitals and clinics provide diagnostic equipment for you when you begin clinicals and your $500 Welch Allyns will set idle for 20 years collecting dust or worse leaking battery acid from the rechargable batteries inside the unit and ruining it. He also said the batteries on the Welch Allyns are very expensive and they lose their ability to hold a charge over time so the otoscope you buy today will need a new battery by the time you are opening a clinic and wanting to put you kit to use. He also said most of the time in your own clinic you will want a wall mounted unit since these large hand held models are actually to large to carry in your pocket tend to walk away :mad:on their own in your clinic if left out in patient rooms. He said a cheaper otoscope that just uses plain old alkalines is the way to go.

An ophthalmoscope is definitely the biggest waste of money for medical students. I had to purchase a diagnostic kit when I was a first year and have used it a total of two times over the past 2-and-a-half years. Each occasion was for testing purposes where I got the same grade regardless if I could actually see into the patient's eyes or ears correctly. Borrow a friend's kit whenever you need to use one. Otherwise, use your money on getting a better stethoscope instead.

I have one of the pocket sets that Welch Allyn makes. I got it on Ebay for like $150. It's probably not the best for seeing things, but it actually fits in your coat really nicely and isn't as heavy. All my classmates were jealous.

another vote for ebay...sometimes they have some good deals, saw some brand new welch allyn pocket sets for the low $100s, seems like a good deal to me...allheart.com is always a good reference point for decent prices!

Unless your school REQUIRES you to buy one, then do NOT purchase one. I am 5 months into 3rd year and have never needed one. These coats are heavy enough as it is.

I got this unit :D www.otoscopes.us/ophthalmoscope-otoscope-kit.htm which I really like. The otoscope is excellent and the opthalmoscope is decent enough to get by. My Uncle who is a practicing physician advised me not to throw my money away on an expensive kit at this time. He said that I would find most hospitals and clinics provide diagnostic equipment for you when you begin clinicals and your $500 Welch Allyns will set idle for 20 years collecting dust or worse leaking battery acid from the rechargable batteries inside the unit and ruining it. He also said the batteries on the Welch Allyns are very expensive and they lose their ability to hold a charge over time so the otoscope you buy today will need a new battery by the time you are opening a clinic and wanting to put you kit to use. He also said most of the time in your own clinic you will want a wall mounted unit since these large hand held models are actually to large to carry in your pocket tend to walk away :mad:on their own in your clinic if left out in patient rooms. He said a cheaper otoscope that just uses plain old alkalines is the way to go.

I took your advice and ordered this kit. Seems like a good deal, and your uncle's reasoning is excellent. Here's to hoping its acceptable to the admins at my school (they really pushed the Welch Allyns, with no other contenders mentioned. I wonder if they're getting a piece of the action....I'm in NJ after all!). Thanks for the heads up! :)

Check ebay. When I thought I was going to a school that needed one I found several under 100.

they really pushed the Welch Allyns, with no other contenders mentioned. I wonder if they're getting a piece of the action....

I SO wouldn't be surprised if the schools to get a cut of the money. Greedy lil bastards... my tuition should be enough! :smuggrin: