Diagnostic radiology in a bear market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we all know, the radiology job market is very hot right now (ie. Some Graduates getting offers without fellowships). However, after the great financial crisis in 2008, many older radiologists delayed retirement. This meant that the radiology job market came to look more like the pathology job market. Graduates doing multiple fellowships only to get a job in the middle of nowhere despite wanting to stay on the coasts/city. With the S&P 500 crashing with no end in sight, do people on here think a similar phenomenon may occur?

Members don't see this ad.

Could the market cool somewhat? Sure.

Will it crash? No. Last bad job market was also due to an increase in residency positions. Since that time the number has increased at a much lower rate.

My group is behind requiring weekly internal moonlighting. That’s with a bunch of former partners who are semi retired (now part time). One guy is over 80 and many are in their 60s/70s.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the volume of studies is too high now for it to matter. And it’s only gonna get higher and higher so without a huge jump in residency spots I don’t see the job market taking a huge hit.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one can predict this stuff.

Reactions: 6 users
Agree with qwerty89, it's gonna be quite a while before there's another super tight market. Radiology has done one of the best jobs as a specialty of limiting the increased number of residency positions over the last 15 years.

As redsox93 said, the way volumes are going its tough to imagine the market getting super tight. There's just been an explosion of mid-levels ordering imaging. Radiology is currently serving as a surrogate for mid-level competence and will so as long as the mid-levels are plentiful and cheap.

Reactions: 1 users
sure its a bear market, but it's hardly a crash. Not keeping up with irrational exponential growth isn't a crash. A real crash would be if we see the market drop down to 2000, which in my opinion is a more reasonable baseline.
1664005974185.png

sure its a bear market, but it's hardly a crash. Not keeping up with irrational exponential growth isn't a crash. A real crash would be if we see the market drop down to 2000, which in my opinion is a more reasonable baseline.
View attachment 359945
And that is very probable if S&P takes out its June low of 3636.

And that is very probable if S&P takes out its June low of 3636.
The S&P will not go to 2000. That would be a drawdown of like 60% which is unprecedented except for the Great Depression.

1664027259399.png

There are certain experts who predict this type of fall (ex. Peter schiff, sven henrich, Keith McCullough) but most of these people are permabears who make money grifting on people’s fears rather than trading

Last edited: