cheap medical school in europe that accepts international students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raghad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am an international student and I'm very interested in pursuing a career in medicine, I have straight A grades and a 1910 SAT score. I am kind of low on the money though so I need a university that is kind of cheap and teaches in English. or if the university teaches in the country's language I don't mind if they give a foundation year to learn the language. if anyone knows anything please please help me out. I am open to all suggestions
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Most European countries don't necessarily offer a foundation year but they do offer intensive language courses and some even prepare you for Entrance exams.

You didn't mention how much you were willing to spend. There are good universities in Central Europe (Poland, Hungary, CR) that might charge 10,000 EUR and above for a year (6 year program and excluding other expenses.)

Alternatively you could choose to go a Western European country (Germany seems to be the friendliest) and take language courses there (up to C1) and exams (both the TestDaF and entrance exams for med school.) You'd hardly be paying more than 250-300 EUR a year (even lesser.) This path is obviously longer as you might have to spend more than 1-1.5 years learning the language.

Most European countries don't necessarily offer a foundation year but they do offer intensive language courses and some even prepare you for Entrance exams.

You didn't mention how much you were willing to spend. There are good universities in Central Europe (Poland, Hungary, CR) that might charge 10,000 EUR and above for a year (6 year program and excluding other expenses.)

Alternatively you could choose to go a Western European country (Germany seems to be the friendliest) and take language courses there (up to C1) and exams (both the TestDaF and entrance exams for med school.) You'd hardly be paying more than 250-300 EUR a year (even lesser.) This path is obviously longer as you might have to spend more than 1-1.5 years learning the language.

Thanks so much for replying. My budget is really low so the 10 thousand euro programs are out of question. But for example the german universities that give intensive language courses sound good. Can you tell me names of universities that do that. Also what about spain do they have similar programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Almost every German university offers language courses of some sort, so I think a google search should get you tons of results. Just google "courses for TestDaF courses". I know of an institute called Eurasia Language Institute in Berlin that offers some intensive 1-2 year programs (http://www.eurasia-institute.com/).

If you plan to attend medical school in Germany, then the 1st step would be to become proficient in German (upto C1) and take the language exam TestDaF. Successful completion of this exam will entitle you to study at a German university (in German language.) For medical school, you will have to take an entrance exam in basic sciences (bio, chem, physics + math) and pass that. I believe there is something called a Numerus Clausus in Europe that "reserves" places for international students, so that way, you won't have to compete with the locals. This clause however only takes in a limited number of students.

I think you get a list of medical school choices based on you entrance exam scores.

I'm an International student studying in Berlin. The most common language test to take (and the one the universities prepare you for) is the DSH. I studied at a private language school for 4 hours a day for 10 months, and this was enough to easily pass the exam (80% of my course passed first try). In regards to your grades you can contact uni-assist (the organisation that handles the international applications for nearly every uni in Germany) and apply to get a grade conversion. Otherwise google the "modifizierte bayrische Formel" and use anabin.de to calculate your grade yourself (and to see if your highschool graduation is even adequate for medicine in Germany). This year international students needed at least 1,4 to get a place at any uni. At more popular unis it was higher. I got into Charité in Berlin with 1,1 which is 96/100 in my country, and from speaking to people it looks like this was the cutoff. Some unis will give you a better grade if you complete the language course there (e.g. in Hamburg). As far as fees go, your looking at around 200-300€ per semester which will include a public transport ticket. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile