SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Cheap places for vaccines?

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by TurboVet, Mar 22, 2007.

1. TurboVet

TurboVet 2+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Anyone know where the cheapest place is to get Hep B and/or Rabies vax? Community center? Your regular doctor? Petco?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Emio

Emio Fudge Bane 7+ Year Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Columbus
    i dunno... i got mine at a community center, and they were still $130 bucks each, or whatever it was. mine were done when i opted to do wildlife rehab last summer, so mine weren't covered, but insurance doesn't cover it if it's mandatory, like for vet school?

4. Angelo84

Angelo84 Tufts Class of 2011 10+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Check with your insurance but they might cover it. I got rabies vaccinated last summer and in order for insurance to cover it it had to be recommended by your doctor--easy to do! You just have to make sure your doctor notes on the form that they rcommended it or you will have to pay for the vaccines. I ended up paying 45 dollars for it--three co-pays!

I have blue cross blue shield PPO. When you call make sure you ask how exactly you can get them to cover it other than getting bitten!

Good luck

5. kate_g

kate_g Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Some schools mentioned that if you take the school's health insurance policy it will cover the shots since they're required for you to be a student (and thus to have the health insurance in the first place). So check with the school you're going to, especially if you know you're going to use their health insurance.

6. horsybaby

horsybaby 2+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I am not sure about the rabies, but the hepatitis,tetanus and others required for my college were cheaper in my area at the county health dept. I compared at my college heath center and my family Dr. I normally thought of the health dept as only available for those on welfare or something, but they were great and it wasn't a big deal. At least something to check out...

7. lazyjayn

lazyjayn Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2006
    South Carolina
    I'm told the rock bottom prices for rabies vaccine are at the red cross in BKK thailand. I'm told they make a good portion of the world supply there. Of course you have to go to thailand and spend very specific days in BKK, but... it's worth it to save a couple hundred dollars, right?

8. Cheska

Cheska Monkey Power! 2+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Arizona
    LOL, Petco! Missed that the first time I read it. :laugh: Good one!

9. alonepear

alonepear MissState CVM 2011 2+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2006
    NC -> MS

Bummed because I can't seem to convince Blue Cross Blue Shield NC to cover my rabies vax :hungover:

Do all the vet schools offer health insurance plans, or only some?

Lastly, is it common for most students to start their vaccinations once they start school, or does most people get them beforehand?

10. BostonLvr

BostonLvr KSUCVM Class of 2012 2+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Kansas
    I got them at the student health center at my school and they were covered by insurance.

11. AuburnPreVet

AuburnPreVet AU CVM Class of 2011 5+ Year Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Podunk
    I had to be vaccinated for my job, however .. BlueCross BlueShield PPO wouldn't pay for it (even with physician recommendation). Luckily, my employer offered to pay.

Regarding going to Thailand... forgive me if I'm an idiot... but, the vaccines are around $5-600 (varies regionally, I assume)... isn't a ticket, housing, and the stress to go to Thailand going to cost a WHOLE lot more.

Edit: Now that I think about it - the vaccines are a series, over multiple weeks... are you suggesting going to Thailand multiple times? I must be missing something, it was a joke, or... (AuburnPreVet jumps back onto the shortbus)...

12. lazyjayn

lazyjayn Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 1, 2006
    South Carolina
    I'm actually suggesting spending a month in thailand baking on a beach, with trips every so often to BKK for the shots. "But boss- I *need* a month off. I *have* to go to thailand for this!"

13. kate_g

kate_g Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2006
    At Wisconsin any registered student can go to their campus clinic for free for routine stuff and "urgent care" issues, but they don't offer major medical coverage. So if you're out of the area (on vacation or whatever) and need care, you're screwed. They don't force you to buy insurance, but they do strongly recommend you get major medical coverage for emergencies/surgery/etc. So... I guess that's "only some." Mississippi *must* have something somewhere on their web page about this...