Cheap places for vaccines?

Started by TurboVet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TurboVet

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know where the cheapest place is to get Hep B and/or Rabies vax? Community center? Your regular doctor? Petco?
 
i dunno... i got mine at a community center, and they were still $130 bucks each, or whatever it was. mine were done when i opted to do wildlife rehab last summer, so mine weren't covered, but insurance doesn't cover it if it's mandatory, like for vet school?
 
Check with your insurance but they might cover it. I got rabies vaccinated last summer and in order for insurance to cover it it had to be recommended by your doctor--easy to do! You just have to make sure your doctor notes on the form that they rcommended it or you will have to pay for the vaccines. I ended up paying 45 dollars for it--three co-pays!

I have blue cross blue shield PPO. When you call make sure you ask how exactly you can get them to cover it other than getting bitten!

Good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Some schools mentioned that if you take the school's health insurance policy it will cover the shots since they're required for you to be a student (and thus to have the health insurance in the first place). So check with the school you're going to, especially if you know you're going to use their health insurance.
 
I am not sure about the rabies, but the hepatitis,tetanus and others required for my college were cheaper in my area at the county health dept. I compared at my college heath center and my family Dr. I normally thought of the health dept as only available for those on welfare or something, but they were great and it wasn't a big deal. At least something to check out...
 
I'm told the rock bottom prices for rabies vaccine are at the red cross in BKK thailand. I'm told they make a good portion of the world supply there. Of course you have to go to thailand and spend very specific days in BKK, but... it's worth it to save a couple hundred dollars, right?
 
Check with your insurance but they might cover it. I got rabies vaccinated last summer and in order for insurance to cover it it had to be recommended by your doctor--easy to do! You just have to make sure your doctor notes on the form that they rcommended it or you will have to pay for the vaccines. I ended up paying 45 dollars for it--three co-pays!

I have blue cross blue shield PPO. When you call make sure you ask how exactly you can get them to cover it other than getting bitten!


Bummed because I can't seem to convince Blue Cross Blue Shield NC to cover my rabies vax :d

Do all the vet schools offer health insurance plans, or only some?

Lastly, is it common for most students to start their vaccinations once they start school, or does most people get them beforehand?
 
I got them at the student health center at my school and they were covered by insurance.
 
I had to be vaccinated for my job, however .. BlueCross BlueShield PPO wouldn't pay for it (even with physician recommendation). Luckily, my employer offered to pay.

Regarding going to Thailand... forgive me if I'm an idiot... but, the vaccines are around $5-600 (varies regionally, I assume)... isn't a ticket, housing, and the stress to go to Thailand going to cost a WHOLE lot more.

Edit: Now that I think about it - the vaccines are a series, over multiple weeks... are you suggesting going to Thailand multiple times? I must be missing something, it was a joke, or... (AuburnPreVet jumps back onto the shortbus)...
 
I'm actually suggesting spending a month in thailand baking on a beach, with trips every so often to BKK for the shots. "But boss- I *need* a month off. I *have* to go to thailand for this!"
 
Do all the vet schools offer health insurance plans, or only some?
At Wisconsin any registered student can go to their campus clinic for free for routine stuff and "urgent care" issues, but they don't offer major medical coverage. So if you're out of the area (on vacation or whatever) and need care, you're screwed. They don't force you to buy insurance, but they do strongly recommend you get major medical coverage for emergencies/surgery/etc. So... I guess that's "only some." Mississippi *must* have something somewhere on their web page about this...