Cheapest place for immunizations/physical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

woodca3

I know this is probably a dumb question, but where did you guys go to get all of the immunizations/titers/physicals/TB tests before starting medical school? I've worked at a hospital or clinic for the past 5 years so I've been getting all this paid for by the hospital. I have no idea how much it actually costs to get these things done with my insurance. Is it more expensive to go to a Doctor's Care than a regular primary care doctor? My stuff is all due in February, so I don't know if I'll be able to find a PCP before then.

Members don't see this ad.

All depends on your insurance, you should call them because they know best what they cover and what your copay or deductible will be. Finding a PCP should not be that hard, I went online through Harvard Vanguard and it has a button that says Find a Doctor on the home page where they list all docs accepting new patients. I'm sure many other places have similar methods of finding physicians accepting new patients. I would think paying out of pocket at a cheaper clinic may still be more expensive than through insurance, but it really depends. For instance I get my TB tests and immunizations covered through insurance at my PCP, but at a local clinic in my neighborhood it would have been $40 (luckily my job covered it through them!). Good luck!! And congrats on getting in!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, it absolutely depends on your insurance. I just switched insurances and both of them charge the same amount to see my pcp or say, CVS Minute Clinic. I just think it's easier with ppd's and immunizations to see a pcp, but you can also get immunizations done at a pharmacy. My school also required titers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is probably a dumb question, but where did you guys go to get all of the immunizations/titers/physicals/TB tests before starting medical school? I've worked at a hospital or clinic for the past 5 years so I've been getting all this paid for by the hospital. I have no idea how much it actually costs to get these things done with my insurance. Is it more expensive to go to a Doctor's Care than a regular primary care doctor? My stuff is all due in February, so I don't know if I'll be able to find a PCP before then.

Some local Health Departments or 'Free' Clinics can do such for cheap. You may also check out your school's health clinic. Your place of work should have records, which reduces the need for extra stuff.

Some local Health Departments or 'Free' Clinics can do such for cheap. You may also check out your school's health clinic. Your place of work should have records, which reduces the need for extra stuff.

I second this. Most insurance companies minimize the cost of immunizations and such from a PCP, but people often forget about university health centers. They're generally extremely cheap for these things. I would recommend seeing if titers are accepted by your med school and get all necessary records from your occupational health department if you're still employed in healthcare. This can save a lot of time. You're probably mostly current on things if you've been in healthcare for many years.