Cheating Allegations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Except that costs a lot of money. Prometric is in business for a reason, and all they do is provide exactly what you describe.
That's all great in theory but how exactly is that going to be done, planned or funded? You really think schools are going to spend that much money on camera's, metal detectors, security systems, advanced proctors etc for every test in a particular school? Not a chance

Ideally the best system to me IMO would be to have multiple standardized exams. Kind of like how there are the SAT's, AP tests and SAT subject tests in high schools. Different standardized tests to analyze different skills and the like. There's enormous grey area in med school admission; some of it such as accounting for an applicants context, ECs etc is necessary. But the degree in variation in trying to account for academic performance such as a GPA from MIT ChemE vs Sociology from State U can be simplified and reduced greatly.

We can cut the expenses easily. Maybe not security cameras but having several proctors like TAs helps. But most importantly, why can't the students simply drop all their stuff early on before being seated for the exam? Without cell phones and backpacks around, they can't cheat. Few of my classes did that for exams and there were no cheating reports whatsoever, because there were no resources available.

Likewise, going to the bathroom during the exam was forbidden (i.e. turn in the exam first, then go to the bathroom). Helps a lot with this approach. And it saves money because it's free!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be down for that. Scrap grades and make standardized exams for given blocks of a subject, with fluff courses simply pass/fail since they shouldn't matter anyway.

Basically just like med schools: P/F courses which mean little(which can be like UG grades), shelf exams(which can be like standardized exams for subjects like Ochem) and a grand test Step 1(like the MCAT).

We can greatly reduce the amount of variation in admission when it comes to evaluating academic performance. The argument people love to throw around "this would favor the rich kids to have all these standardized tests they can prep for and get tutoring for" holds zero water with me. If anything, the GPA system screws over those from less fortuante circumstances even more given how inflexible their schedules can be and how much working commitment they have to have on the side. This way you can allot your time better; just merely pass your courses and go all in on studying for the standardized exams.

I agree with @GrapesofRath that there should be some alternative short of the academic and career "death penalty" that is the academic integrity IA -- something more than a slap on the wrist, but less than career-execution that could be used more widely, something less black and white that reflects the varied shades of gray involved in cheating.
I disagree. I survived the single sanction system, could take tests in the library, in my apartment, etc. There is a seriousness clause, but if you lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those that do, you're unfit to have a degree from this institution and you won't.
Lots of kids get a big serving of humble pie and their walking papers every year. Their "single mistake" is evidence of a character flaw and they can continue their education at some second rate school.
At schools with a serious honor code, many students and faculty view it as a major plus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was talking to @efle and @Lucca about this previously but I think we can standardize all university-proctored exams by promoting similar MCAT-like conditions, like an examination room with cameras monitoring your performance every second. No cell phones, watches, backpacks etc. allowed and proctors will provide you a pencil and scratch paper. Seems like a nice deal.

Seems dystopian

I disagree. I survived the single sanction system, could take tests in the library, in my apartment, etc. There is a seriousness clause, but if you lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those that do, you're unfit to have a degree from this institution and you won't.
Lots of kids get a big serving of humble pie and their walking papers every year. Their "single mistake" is evidence of a character flaw and they can continue their education at some second rate school.
At schools with a serious honor code, many students and faculty view it as a major plus.

Actually, I don't disagree with you that a strong, strict and widely-known code of behavior is a good thing. I DO think it's a good thing, and I can see how it's a badge of pride for those who sign up for it and live by it.

But most colleges don't have such an honor code, and as the depressing pervasiveness of some level of 'acceptable cheating culture' illustrates, most students didn't "sign up for that"... I don't LIKE it and would prefer everyone lived by your much stronger code. But they don't.

A workable code of conduct needs to be at least somewhat in tune with prevailing social norms or it will never succeed. Where social norms dictate that collaborating on homework is 'sorta OK', official punishment for a single instance of collaborating on homework should not be career-ending -- especially when the standard of proof is relatively low. More egregious conduct merits more serious consequences. There's a wide range of gray that consequences need to reflect.

If we want students to actually learn the material instead of regurgitate random facts, everything should be Pass Fail like at Reed College. Nothing kills a genuine desire to learn than worrying about an A and an A-.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems dystopian
I don't think you need that much security 24/7 but I do take issue with bathroom breaks mid test, turning in papers in hard copy only (no plagiarism check) and such. I'm happy just with TAs roaming around, students spaced apart, and freshly written exams each year with a public backlog for practice.

+1 to destrio. And I really don't understand the "being a snitch" thing. Implies someone should have any sort of loyalty to classmates that cheat over the prof/other honest students which makes no sense.