Checking up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_giant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
^ Yes please, can a moderator please move this to the surgery forum?
Though Im also asking about a career in medicine in general

Members don't see this ad :)
Programs will ask. Its up to you whether you lie or not. There are anecdotal stories of people having serious consequences from lying. It is unlikely that this would even come up as far as licensing or residency goes other than they'll ask you at your intake physical paperwork. Whether or not HCM would manifest and cause you to have a problem while you are doing your job (like loss of consciousness or MI) - idk. Am not a cardiologist. I imagine the answer to that is the same risk that anyone else with HCM has, so whatever the risk if for the athletes running around doing crazy stuff, your risk is less than that but more than a normal human.

• Hmm
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Programs will ask. Its up to you whether you lie or not. There are anecdotal stories of people having serious consequences from lying. It is unlikely that this would even come up as far as licensing or residency goes other than they'll ask you at your intake physical paperwork. Whether or not HCM would manifest and cause you to have a problem while you are doing your job (like loss of consciousness or MI) - idk. Am not a cardiologist. I imagine the answer to that is the same risk that anyone else with HCM has, so whatever the risk if for the athletes running around doing crazy stuff, your risk is less than that but more than a normal human.
Programs will ask??? not sure it’s a standard interview topic asking applicants their health history.
I don’t remember having to do a pre employment physical or health history where I did residency/fellowship/job. The only things they asked for was vaccinations. The question for privileges/licensing about “do you have a disability/health condition limiting your ability to practicing medicine?” I would argue you could truthfully say no if you don’t have active physical limitations with HCM.
I don’t see a reason to preemptively disclose this to programs.
the only entity that he/she would need to disclose this to would be whatever insurance company they are going to get disability insurance from. Any future issues related to HCM will not be covered and/or will need to pay a bigger premium.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Going to leave this in this forum as it's more of a student question.
2. You aren't asked in residency interviews about your health unless you bring it up in conversation or otherwise draw attention to a potential issue. Like you mention it in a personal statement and open the door to questions about your condition and how it affects your life. Once you match, you will likely have to pass a health screen, and if you cannot pass it, you can lose your spot. There are places that may not do health screens or require a pre-employment physical, but the vast majority of places do for liability reasons.
3. The best person to ask about whether the cardiomyopathy would limit career options is the cardiologist managing the condition. Furthermore, this cardiologist will likely need to provide some documentation that you are physically able to do the job once employee health learns of this condition on a new employee health screen.
4. While residency and attendinghood are two different grinds, both are stressful. Procedural specialties tend to have more "active" call, so you do have to look beyond the training period into long term lifestyle of a given field. Most attendings work for 30+ years or so, especially surgeon types.
5. Exposure to various fields in med school can often allow a student to realize if they are "up to" doing a given field. If they struggle to physically get through the day as a student, it is likely to be even more physically demanding with more hours per week and call as a resident. You have to rotate through the fields of interest and see what seems doable, both physically and mentally.
6. See #3.

Reactions: 1 users
Programs will ask??? not sure it’s a standard interview topic asking applicants their health history.
I don’t remember having to do a pre employment physical or health history where I did residency/fellowship/job. The only things they asked for was vaccinations. The question for privileges/licensing about “do you have a disability/health condition limiting your ability to practicing medicine?” I would argue you could truthfully say no if you don’t have active physical limitations with HCM.
I don’t see a reason to preemptively disclose this to programs.
the only entity that he/she would need to disclose this to would be whatever insurance company they are going to get disability insurance from. Any future issues related to HCM will not be covered and/or will need to pay a bigger premium.
I meant on the pre employment questionnaire. It will not come up in residency interviewing at all but the vast majority of places do ask at pre employment about a month or two before you start.

I meant on the pre employment questionnaire. It will not come up in residency interviewing at all but the vast majority of places do ask at pre employment about a month or two before you start.
I’m not sure these pre employment questionnaires actually get to the PD level. Even if they did, I would not think that HCM would be a condition disqualifying a person from residency. It might disqualify one from getting insurance benefits in the future, but not from residency. This is not the NBA.
If it was the case, then anyone with HCM shouldnt work at all, apply for disability and get social security for the rest of their life.

• Love
I’m not sure these pre employment questionnaires actually get to the PD level. Even if they did, I would not think that HCM would be a condition disqualifying a person from residency. It might disqualify one from getting insurance benefits in the future, but not from residency. This is not the NBA.
If it was the case, then anyone with HCM shouldnt work at all, apply for disability and get social security for the rest of their life.
I didn't say it would disqualify you from residency.

In the process of employment at most major medical centers or larger hospitals which residencies are all a part of you are extremely likely to get a pre-employment health questionnaire that will ask you your medical history. You can tell the truth or lie. What the employer does with that medical history depends on what the medical diagnosis is. Some of this things absolutely, 100% will filter up to your residency and will require further investigation or approval. They are rarely, if ever, disqualifying particularly if they are managed.

If you choose to LIE about said form and for any reason it becomes an issue later, you will be in deep ****. As I said in my original post, the odds of that happening are extremely low but not zero. For example - if you have ADD but another resident sees you taking a ton of Adderall before your in service and reports you two years later for substance abuse and trying to 'cheat' during the exam the residency absolutely can fire you and I have seen anecdotal stories of this happening and have heard of one instance from my former program coordinator.

I hope that clarifies. Feel like I'm talking to a wall. lol