Cheesy update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NTF

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over these last few days I've been mulling over what I would include in update letters to schools I'm either on hold at, waitlisted, or haven't heard from.

Well, in the mail today, I received from my volunteer supervisor a magazine they put out semi-annually called "Stories of caring". Unbeknownst to me, one the pages has a picture of me and a full page essay I wrote a while back (at my supervisor's request) about what volunteering has meant to me.

Now the magazine is totally sentimental and cheesy. It's basically page after page of pictures of volunteers w/ blurbs and quotes from them about their volunteering experience.

Is this something I could send to schools with my update letters. Or would that just be too corny?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this something I could send to schools with my update letters. Or would that just be too corny?

Well here are some thoughts:

Not all publicity is good publicity...if you wrote something really profound for the article then maybe it would be worth it to send.

If you DIDN'T write something that you'd want an ADCOM to see then I'd avoid it...

They WILL judge you on the content of what you've written.

Adcomms don't really want copies of a publication, rather cite it and give a brief description. They are unlikely to check it out, but if it's embarrassing in any way, don't mention it, just in case. If you do cite it, I'd bring a copy to interviews, in case it's brought up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Adcomms don't really want copies of a publication, rather cite it and give a brief description.

Yeah, that's a really good idea. I had a similar situation and I included a one-sentence description on my AMCAS.

Over these last few days I've been mulling over what I would include in update letters to schools I'm either on hold at, waitlisted, or haven't heard from.

Well, in the mail today, I received from my volunteer supervisor a magazine they put out semi-annually called "Stories of caring". Unbeknownst to me, one the pages has a picture of me and a full page essay I wrote a while back (at my supervisor's request) about what volunteering has meant to me.

Now the magazine is totally sentimental and cheesy. It's basically page after page of pictures of volunteers w/ blurbs and quotes from them about their volunteering experience.

If this volunteer gig is meaningful to you, I would send it. Just be prepared to discuss it at interviews.

Sorry I don't really know the answer to your question, I don't know much about what's a legit update.

But can I ask how you're going to send your update letters? Email or snail mail? I'm contemplating sending some myself.