Chem Problem, can't figure it out. HELP

Started by 239493
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

2

239493

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok here's the problem out of the Kaplan book:

What is the molecular weight of an unknown gas if 2.5g of it occupies 2L at 630 torr and a temperature of 600K.

Ok, so I know the formula PV=nRT.
We have V which is 2L.
We have temperature which is 600K.
We have pressure which is 630 torr but must be converted to atmosphere.
So i set up the ratio 760torr/1atm = 630torr/x and I got 1.2 atm.
So atm is 1.2.
And we know n is = g/mm, with mm being the question at hand.
So n = 2.5/x.
And R = 0.0821

So I set up this problem as the following.

(1.2atm)(2L) = 2.5g/x (0.0821)(600K)

we then get 2.4 = 123/x
solve for x and you get 51 as the molecular weight.

What i dont get is that the book says the answer is 74. I have no Idea why! and its bothering me. Can someone help me please. 😕
 
shakehead.gif
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad