Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2004
Status
2X + Y --> Z

IF stoichiometric quantities of X and Y are placed in a sealed, flexiable container container with an initial volume of 30 L at STP, what volume of Z will be produced? Given that XYZ are gases.

The correct answer is 10 L. But I don't understand the logic behind getting the answer. If someone can explain it, it will be great. thanks as always! :thumbup:

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status
  1. Dentist
It's a bit of a tricky question since we're so used to dealing with reactions that don't go all the way to completion, but that is what is being assumed here.

basically we put 2 moles of X and 1 mole of Y into a container of 30L at STP and we assume the reaction goes to completion. Volume of a gas is dependent only on moles of gas particles present, so initially we put in 3 moles of a gas and they react to completion to form 1 mole of Z.

so if
V' = initial volume
n' = initial moles of gas
V" = final volume
n" = final moles of gas

then

V'/n' = V"/n"

30 L / 3 moles = V" / 1 mole

V" = 10 L

714guy

counting down till 5/2012
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
Visit site
Status
  1. Dental Student
Smooth Operater said:
2X + Y --> Z

IF stoichiometric quantities of X and Y are placed in a sealed, flexiable container container with an initial volume of 30 L at STP, what volume of Z will be produced? Given that XYZ are gases.

The correct answer is 10 L. But I don't understand the logic behind getting the answer. If someone can explain it, it will be great. thanks as always! :thumbup:

my logic . . . since we know that at STP 1 mole of gas occupies 22.414L, making 1/2 mole of gas @ STP occupying 1/2 of 22.414L. But in this case we have a total of 30L of stoichiometric quantities of X and Y, so that would mean twice as much X than Y in the 30L. so X = 20L and Y= 10L using stoichi, we can find that we'll make 10L of Z.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this. Thanks

allstardentist

All-Star
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
Los Angeles
Status
  1. Dental Student
Initially, the volume is 30L at STP. This means that there are a total of 30/22.4 moles of reactants. Since we know that X and Y are in 2:1 ratio, the mole fraction of Y will be 1/(2+1). So we have (30/22.4 x 1/3) moles of Y.Also, 1 mole of Y yields 1 mole of Z, thus, # of moles of Z = (30/22.4 x 1/3). Lastly, we calculate the volume by multiplying the number of moles of Z by 22.4 L/1mole. This is the most simplified explanation I can think of. Hope it helps.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads