Chem Road Map Strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spandent14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,

I'm retaking the DAT in exactly 3 weeks. I'm almost all the way through Chad's chem videos and I am using this week to work through the Destroyer problems, will take a week to review, then another week with Destroyer before final review prior to test day. I'm just wondering how those of you who have used Destroyer (or even created your own road maps) have gone about utilizing these in a study method? Does looking at the maps alone help to memorize what reactants will lead to what products? Or do you use them more interactively than that? I'm making flashcards throughout my studies but am kind of afraid that once I'm actually done making them I won't have sufficient time to go through them and memorize the material. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Since ochem was still fairly fresh for me, I was familiar with 70% of the reactions. In addition to flashcards, I also made photocopies of each roadmap page, then used whiteout to hide the products for all reactions, and another copy where I hid all the reagents. I would photocopy a set each couple of days and would do them during downtime at my work. I got so good at them that I could write everything out within 5-7 minutes. Keep in mind though that on the real DAT, you will have at most 2-3 reactions combined, and you probably won't see some of the crazier ones that are in Destroyer. I would highly recommend knowing all the EAS reactions, as it's almost guaranteed to show up on the exam. Good luck

Make sure you go through the road maps several times and through Bio questions. They are tough, but will prepare you well. They will give you some extra information in addition to cliffs.