Chemical Engineering-DO(Advice with low GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadNonTrad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

New to this thread here! I was looking for some advice on how to possibly have a chance at a DO acceptance. I am a rising senior If all goes well, I'll probably graduate with a 3.25-3.3 cGPA. I know. Pretty low. Looking at all the forums so far, it looks like a post bacc would be a good idea. I was wondering, because post baccs are really expensive, whether it would be a good idea to take pre-med science classes to boost up my sGPA at a regional campus, like UCBA. Would that be looked down upon? Also, since I will be looking for a job, I don't want to be at a disadvantage for engineering job placements by not accepting a job early on? Should I wait and work for a few years, then take pre-med? I want to get grades up before even attempting MCAT. Also will a non-traditional post bacc factor into cGPA?

I need to retake Bio 1, Chem 2, both ochems, and biochem. Current sGPA is hovering around a 3.0, want to get it to 3.4 ish by the time I apply.

Sorry for rambling, just struggling on finding the route I can take. I will be applying only DO, though.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Preface: I am an engineering grad, working full-time and doing a DIY post bacc at a local community college.

I don't think it will be looked down upon, as long as you do well. You said "retake" though.. idk how it will affect your GPA if you graduated and retake classes you have assed with C's or B's. Personally, I would look for advice on the risks/banefits/implications of retaking classes you've already passed.

Thanks for the response. What kind of post bacc are you doing? A regular program or are you just taking higher level science classes?

Thanks for the response. What kind of post bacc are you doing? A regular program or are you just taking higher level science classes?

So my undergrad degree didn't cover Bio, O-Chem etc. So I'm playing catch up to meet the pre-requisite requirements. So far I've taken Gen Chem 2, O-Chem 1 & 2, Bio 1 & 2 and all corresponding labs. This summer, I'm taking Psychology and Sociology for MCAT prep. I've taken all of these in-person at a local CC. In the fall I'll take Biochem online through a state university since it's not offered at my CC.

Personally, having taken classes at CC and a state university, I prefer CC when it's an option. The classes are smaller, the professors usually have industry experience, pertinent to the subject matter, and are not too focused on their research to worry about teaching, and the tuition is a lot more affordable.

Again, I haven't applied yet, so I really can't speak on how successful my approach has been/will be, but it was what I could make work at the time. I work full time, and share an apartment with my significant other. Quitting and going back full time wasn't in the stars for me. Being that you're still in school, it may be best for you to just go straight through to some kind of masters or formal post bacc program that will get you what you need. That's something you'll have to figure out. For me, graduating and working as an engineer for a little while played a critical role in me deciding on going into medicine. You may get a job as a Chem E and love it and forget about medical school. You could always work as an engineer and take night classes while you try to figure it out. At least then you're making progress, but also building experience for a backup plan if you change your mind.

Hope that was as at least half as helpful as it was long. :)