Chemistry Major V. Psychology Major w/ Chemistry Minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenykj49

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time browser, first post. Thank you in advance.

I'm going into my fifth year of undergraduate. I spent the first three years paralyzed by options; jumped around science majors (Biology, Chemistry). I didn't decide until my senior year that I wanted to pursue medicine. My GPA for the first three years suffered as a result, as embarrassing as this is for me my current uGPA is 2.7 with significant upward trend senior year (3.8, 4.0). Thankfully, by jumping around science majors I unintentionally finished most of my pre-reqs. Just finished Orgo I with an A, still need to take Orgo II. I'm currently in full on GPA repair mode as this is my main priority. Killing the MCAT is my second. I have my EC's under control. My current question pertains to the best course of action for GPA repair.

Going forward in the immediate future I have two options: I can either (1) continue as a chemistry major and take nothing but science classes or (2) I can switch my major to Psychology and minor in chemistry. I would be able to finish in the same amount of time for both. Realistically, option (1) would be more difficult to maintain a 4.0; but I would be preparing myself for the rigor of medical school. Option (2), which I'm leaning towards, would allow me a better chance of maintaining a 4.0 to raise my GPA; as well as taking a handful of science courses.

I'm looking at my fifth year as a type of DIY post-bacc. Raising my GPA is obviously my number one priority. I just don't know if a raised GPA with psychology courses in there would hold as much weight. I do plan on doing an SMP after I finish undergrad; so basically I just need admission to that. In an ideal situation I would be at around a 3.3 after graduation.

EDIT: sGPA ~2.77

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Psych makes the most sense given that you seem to be leaning toward it— if you think you’ll have more fun with it then that’s the better option hands down. When you’re premed, it’s so ideal to have a major that you love and keeps you sane. It’ll refresh your mind while you’re hunkering down for hardcore GPA repair.

Also, just because you major in psych doesn’t mean you need to stop taking classes that’ll increase your sGPA. Have you really taken ALL the requirements? Well, at least you still have orgo 2 ahead of you.

My guess is you’ll have plenty that will prepare you for med school as well as prove your mettle — so don’t stress about the major. Focus on enjoying school and strengthening your GPA

Reactions: 1 user
What is your sGPA? You need to consider how to improve that also. I hope you can raise your GPA higher as you will be screened out by GPA in most MD schools. A decent MCAT around 505 should put you in consideration for most established schools. Good luck and best wishes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time browser, first post. Thank you in advance.

I'm going into my fifth year of undergraduate. I spent the first three years paralyzed by options; jumped around science majors (Biology, Chemistry). I didn't decide until my senior year that I wanted to pursue medicine. My GPA for the first three years suffered as a result, as embarrassing as this is for me my current uGPA is 2.7 with significant upward trend senior year (3.8, 4.0). Thankfully, by jumping around science majors I unintentionally finished most of my pre-reqs. Just finished Orgo I with an A, still need to take Orgo II. I'm currently in full on GPA repair mode as this is my main priority. Killing the MCAT is my second. I have my EC's under control. My current question pertains to the best course of action for GPA repair.

Going forward in the immediate future I have two options: I can either (1) continue as a chemistry major and take nothing but science classes or (2) I can switch my major to Psychology and minor in chemistry. I would be able to finish in the same amount of time for both. Realistically, option (1) would be more difficult to maintain a 4.0; but I would be preparing myself for the rigor of medical school. Option (2), which I'm leaning towards, would allow me a better chance of maintaining a 4.0 to raise my GPA; as well as taking a handful of science courses.

I'm looking at my fifth year as a type of DIY post-bacc. Raising my GPA is obviously my number one priority. I just don't know if a raised GPA with psychology courses in there would hold as much weight. I do plan on doing an SMP after I finish undergrad; so basically I just need admission to that. In an ideal situation I would be at around a 3.3 after graduation.

Besides what was already said by other members.. you said you took most of your pre-reqs. How did you do in those classes? Or do you have to retake those classes as well?

Your cumulative GPA is important, but your science GPA is also important.

It doesn't matter what you want to end up majoring in as long as you make A's and show that you can handle UL science classes

What is your sGPA? You need to consider how to improve that also. I hope you can raise your GPA higher as you will be screened out by GPA in most MD schools. A decent MCAT around 505 should put you in consideration for most established schools. Good luck and best wishes!

Currently my sGPA is a 2.77. I don't plan on retaking any of those classes. I still need to take a handful of upper level science classes and should be around a 3.2 ideally by graduation.