Chemistry minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puppypaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm not too far from earning in chemistry minor along with my BA degree. When applying to PT school, does anyone know if having the chemistry minor make much of a difference?
Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if anyone knows for certain if a Chemistry minor is a major perk as far as Physical Therapy is concerned. I obtained mine and in all of my interviews they seemed to be impressed. I wouldn't stress too much over it but it definitely couldn't hurt.

It'll impress. You should take it if you want to take it, not only if it'll look good on your resume.

I don't think it'll make that much of a difference, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
I'm not too far from earning in chemistry minor along with my BA degree. When applying to PT school, does anyone know if having the chemistry minor make much of a difference?
Thx.

I think it is unlikely to matter.

Major and minor don't matter. Get A's in pre-req courses.

thanks for the feedback everyone. I probably won't bother to go for it then since it seems like it won't help me, and could even bring my gpa down a bit since I'd have to lad on a couple extra courses.

Yeah, I was going to say... does the major even matter, as long as you've completed all the prereqs and gotten good grades? Why would a chemistry minor (or major, for that matter) impress? Just because it's "hard"? It's not the science that is most relevant to PT.

Yeah, I was going to say... does the major even matter, as long as you've completed all the prereqs and gotten good grades? Why would a chemistry minor (or major, for that matter) impress? Just because it's "hard"? It's not the science that is most relevant to PT.

Depends on the school. I know my school's DPT program looks at grades (gpa) above anything else. They actually give you points for each category they look at, such as GPA, GRE, observation hours, extracurriculars, LORs, difficulty of classes, ect. If you get enough "points" during the initial look, you get an interview. I was actually surprised that the admissions office was so open to the students about how this happens.

It will only possibly help you if you decide you want to enter a later health or masters program that is different from PT school (or afterward). Also, if there is an assistantship position that deals with lab work and physiology work it may be helpful in leveraging for such a position (if it's even offered).

Otherwise, knock out A's in your classes. Especially, those pre-requisite sciences.