Chemistry prereqs

Started by NEC
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NEC

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I've tried searching around for an answer but came up with mostly contradictory answers.

I took gen chem I at my well-known university and got a C. I followed that up with a year of ochem where I got a B+ and an A-. While I majored in a life science, I had a different plan at the time so I didn't worry about med school prereqs. I graduated with a respectable GPA (3.6, same as science GPA) but short on the second semester of genchem.

Now that I've changed directions, is taking this second semester at a community college going to doubly hurt? If I did poorly in the first semester, but fine in organic and then graduated with an overall decent GPA, does this indicate a sufficient level of preparation such that one or two community college courses won't matter? Would I need a stronger MCAT score in the physical science section to overcome this?

Thanks.
 
Hi,

I've tried searching around for an answer but came up with mostly contradictory answers.

I took gen chem I at my well-known university and got a C. I followed that up with a year of ochem where I got a B+ and an A-. While I majored in a life science, I had a different plan at the time so I didn't worry about med school prereqs. I graduated with a respectable GPA (3.6, same as science GPA) but short on the second semester of genchem.

Now that I've changed directions, is taking this second semester at a community college going to doubly hurt? If I did poorly in the first semester, but fine in organic and then graduated with an overall decent GPA, does this indicate a sufficient level of preparation such that one or two community college courses won't matter? Would I need a stronger MCAT score in the physical science section to overcome this?

Thanks.

1) Take those courses at your university.

2) How do you get higher of a grade in ochem than gen chem?