Chemistry Requirements: Quarter -> Semester Units Conversion Leaves Me Under Required # of Units

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcedCoffeeOnly

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my chemistry prerequisites at a school with the quarter system, and the conversion to semester units is leaving me off by 0.5-0.7 units... for example:

General Chemistry (Chem 14A+14B+14BL): I took 2 lecture classes (4 quarter units each) and 1 general chemistry lab (3), for a total of 11 quarter units. This is 7.34 semester units, which puts me under the 8 semester units required for 1 year of general chemistry. I don't know why they didn't just make the gen chem lab 4 quarter units.

Biochemistry (Chem 153A): 4 quarter units, which is 2.67 semester units, which puts me under the usually required 3 semester units for biochemistry...

Will this mean that I will need to take additional gen chem/biochem classes to make up for a third to half of a unit? Or will this be not an issue for schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I took 153B just to make sure lol...but following because I've always been curious about this as well.

I took my chemistry prerequisites at a school with the quarter system, and the conversion to semester units is leaving me off by 0.5-0.7 units... for example:

General Chemistry (Chem 14A+14B+14BL): I took 2 lecture classes (4 quarter units each) and 1 general chemistry lab (3), for a total of 11 quarter units. This is 7.34 semester units, which puts me under the 8 semester units required for 1 year of general chemistry. I don't know why they didn't just make the gen chem lab 4 quarter units.

Biochemistry (Chem 153A): 4 quarter units, which is 2.67 semester units, which puts me under the usually required 3 semester units for biochemistry...

Will this mean that I will need to take additional gen chem/biochem classes to make up for a third to half of a unit? Or will this be not an issue for schools?
I recently spoke to some UCLA graduates (now at or applying to med school) about this, and they said most schools are understanding about UCLA being a quarter system and don't really calculate the units. Taking Chem 14A, B, BL, C, CL, D should be fine for orgo and gen chem, and some schools count CL as biochem also. If you really want to be safe, I would take 2 biochem classes though--out of the 4 of them, just one said she was questioned about biochem, having only taken 153A (it was Johns Hopkins)