Chemistry Requirements: Quarter -> Semester Units Conversion Leaves Me Under Required # of Units

Mar 25, 2019
I took my chemistry prerequisites at a school with the quarter system, and the conversion to semester units is leaving me off by 0.5-0.7 units... for example:

General Chemistry (Chem 14A+14B+14BL): I took 2 lecture classes (4 quarter units each) and 1 general chemistry lab (3), for a total of 11 quarter units. This is 7.34 semester units, which puts me under the 8 semester units required for 1 year of general chemistry. I don't know why they didn't just make the gen chem lab 4 quarter units.

Biochemistry (Chem 153A): 4 quarter units, which is 2.67 semester units, which puts me under the usually required 3 semester units for biochemistry...

Will this mean that I will need to take additional gen chem/biochem classes to make up for a third to half of a unit? Or will this be not an issue for schools?

May 27, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I took 153B just to make sure lol...but following because I've always been curious about this as well.

Nov 19, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I took my chemistry prerequisites at a school with the quarter system, and the conversion to semester units is leaving me off by 0.5-0.7 units... for example:

General Chemistry (Chem 14A+14B+14BL): I took 2 lecture classes (4 quarter units each) and 1 general chemistry lab (3), for a total of 11 quarter units. This is 7.34 semester units, which puts me under the 8 semester units required for 1 year of general chemistry. I don't know why they didn't just make the gen chem lab 4 quarter units.

Biochemistry (Chem 153A): 4 quarter units, which is 2.67 semester units, which puts me under the usually required 3 semester units for biochemistry...

Will this mean that I will need to take additional gen chem/biochem classes to make up for a third to half of a unit? Or will this be not an issue for schools?
I recently spoke to some UCLA graduates (now at or applying to med school) about this, and they said most schools are understanding about UCLA being a quarter system and don't really calculate the units. Taking Chem 14A, B, BL, C, CL, D should be fine for orgo and gen chem, and some schools count CL as biochem also. If you really want to be safe, I would take 2 biochem classes though--out of the 4 of them, just one said she was questioned about biochem, having only taken 153A (it was Johns Hopkins)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads