Chemistry Section on PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twilightz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently re-learning General and Organic Chemistry in order to write the PCAT. I'm using the ExamKrackers book. But as you may already know, the ExamKrackers books are made for the MCAT. All the chemistry questions are passage questions, which means they generally take longer to answer.

My question is: Are there passage questions on the Chemistry section of the PCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

no the PCAT chem questions are all free-standing.
nonetheless, i think the mcat sources should be suitable to prepare for the pcat. i've been using princeton mcat for g-chem and o-chem. just don't do the passage questions...find other questions for practice

Can anyone recommend a book with lots of thorough Chemistry questions that are representative of the kind of questions I might find on the PCAT?

Can anyone recommend a book with lots of thorough Chemistry questions that are representative of the kind of questions I might find on the PCAT?

Either Kaplan or AP Chemistry but that wouldn't cover ochem, neither would unless you buy kaplan's course

Members don't see this ad :)
Either Kaplan or AP Chemistry but that wouldn't cover ochem, neither would unless you buy kaplan's course

True. You may want to try Cliffs Test Prep. They have 5 tests in there but I remember reading somewhere on SDN that those tests might be old and not formatted to reflect the current PCAT. There is also Barron's and Harcourt sells 2 practice tests (which are obviously the most reliable).

Farcus- what do you think of Cliffs Test prep?

No passages but Examkracker books are great.

Collins practice tests helped me a lot as i took the pcat 1 year after finishing chem2. Focus on chem2 & bring a stopwatch to the the exam. Chem is the hardest material on the test.

For those who took the PCAT in June is it true that there is more Organic than inorganic questions on the test lately?