Chicago Anesthesia Programs: Loyola, Masonic, County, UIC, & Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andypatch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering if students, residents, and/or attendings could please provide pro/cons about the following programs ,why you might have chose one program over the other, basically any insight to these programs would be greatly appreciated. Oh and also I have very limited amounts of time to do "audition" rotations, do you think a two week rotation is sufficient, and would doing a SICU rotation provide ample exposure to residents and attendings so as to make a positive impression. Thanks.

Loyola
Masonic
Rush
UIC
County (Stroger)

Members don't see this ad.

search. the topic has been covered for the last 3-4 yrs on this site.

search. the topic has been covered for the last 3-4 yrs on this site.

I did and you are right but most of the info is 5-6 old, so I was hoping people could update please, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I was wondering if students, residents, and/or attendings could please provide pro/cons about the following programs ,why you might have chose one program over the other, basically any insight to these programs would be greatly appreciated. Oh and also I have very limited amounts of time to do "audition" rotations, do you think a two week rotation is sufficient, and would doing a SICU rotation provide ample exposure to residents and attendings so as to make a positive impression. Thanks.

Loyola
Masonic
Rush
UIC
County (Stroger)
Somehow I am very familiar with all of them :)....Depends of what you want. they are very different regarding the clinical exposure - my favorite is Stroger - the best trauma hospital. Pain - Rush. Combined stuff - Loyola. Masonic - the best teacher - Dr. Khorasani. Good exposure to pain - Candido. glty

How open are these places to FMGs (carribean students in specific)??

The Private Hospitals
Rush and Masonic

Rush--> Very good in Pain. Department of Anesthesia is well respected. They run a lot of ORs. Attendings give lectures.

Masonic-->In great neighborhood. Trauma center, but lots of good exposure to elective cases as well. One of the biggest names in Pain right now is at Masonic, Dr. Candido. Department is huge in regional and pain. Prepares you well for private practice.

The County Hospital
Stroger--> Trauma center. Very FMG friendly. Computerized charts.

Academic Places
NWU and U of C --> Both are academic places. NWU is in a great area in Downtown Chicago. Very modern hospital. U of C 's neighborhood is more rough. IF you want to do academics, check these places out. Obviously, you will see the big names and faces in many of the specialties.
UIC--> From what I hear primarily only takes UIC med students. Also, from what I hear residents are treated well and it is rather 'cush'.
Loyola--> Great for CV anesthesia. Tons of cases, also a trauma center.