1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Chicago Anesthesia Programs: Loyola, Masonic, County, UIC, & Rush

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by andypatch, Nov 30, 2008.

1. andypatch

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey,

I was wondering if students, residents, and/or attendings could please provide pro/cons about the following programs ,why you might have chose one program over the other, basically any insight to these programs would be greatly appreciated. Oh and also I have very limited amounts of time to do "audition" rotations, do you think a two week rotation is sufficient, and would doing a SICU rotation provide ample exposure to residents and attendings so as to make a positive impression. Thanks.

Loyola
    Masonic
    Rush
    UIC
    County (Stroger)

2. sevo85288

sevo85288 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    search. the topic has been covered for the last 3-4 yrs on this site.

3. OP
    OP
    andypatch

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I did and you are right but most of the info is 5-6 old, so I was hoping people could update please, thanks.

4. OsteoGASDOC

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'm interested in this as well..

5. 2win

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Somehow I am very familiar with all of them :)....Depends of what you want. they are very different regarding the clinical exposure - my favorite is Stroger - the best trauma hospital. Pain - Rush. Combined stuff - Loyola. Masonic - the best teacher - Dr. Khorasani. Good exposure to pain - Candido. glty

6. NRAI2001

NRAI2001 3K Member
    10+ Year Member

How open are these places to FMGs (carribean students in specific)??

7. SleepIsGood

SleepIsGood Support the ASA !
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The Private Hospitals
    Rush and Masonic

Rush--> Very good in Pain. Department of Anesthesia is well respected. They run a lot of ORs. Attendings give lectures.

Masonic-->In great neighborhood. Trauma center, but lots of good exposure to elective cases as well. One of the biggest names in Pain right now is at Masonic, Dr. Candido. Department is huge in regional and pain. Prepares you well for private practice.

The County Hospital
    Stroger--> Trauma center. Very FMG friendly. Computerized charts.

Academic Places
    NWU and U of C --> Both are academic places. NWU is in a great area in Downtown Chicago. Very modern hospital. U of C 's neighborhood is more rough. IF you want to do academics, check these places out. Obviously, you will see the big names and faces in many of the specialties.
    UIC--> From what I hear primarily only takes UIC med students. Also, from what I hear residents are treated well and it is rather 'cush'.
    Loyola--> Great for CV anesthesia. Tons of cases, also a trauma center.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...