chicago programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkFast007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

ThinkFast007 said:
hey guys-

is there a way to find out which programs in chicago admit PGY1 for EM? I'm just not sure how it works. Does not having a PGY1 mean that one must do a 'prelim' year? If so, when you are out of med school do you still wait apply to the PGY2 spot or do you wait until after the prelim year to apply.

I know this may be a little confusing (it's because I am).

Thanks!

The only Chicago program that doesn't accept PGY1 is Cook County. They're an PGY2 to PGY4 program. Of the others, U of Chicago, UiC, Resurrection, and Christ are 1-3 programs and Northwestern is 1-4. If there is no PGY1 then, yes you must do a prelim year. You would alpply for both a prelim position and a PGY2 spot during the match during your fourth year of med school. Hope this helps.

ThinkFast007 said:
hey guys-

is there a way to find out which programs in chicago admit PGY1 for EM? I'm just not sure how it works. Does not having a PGY1 mean that one must do a 'prelim' year? If so, when you are out of med school do you still wait apply to the PGY2 spot or do you wait until after the prelim year to apply.

I know this may be a little confusing (it's because I am).

Thanks!

my guess is that you are still in 2nd or 3rd year of medical school. if so the following information will help.

there is a site... www.saem.org with a link titled residency catalog. it has all accreditated em programs in the us, also split into the types (1-3, 1-4, or 2-4). there are only a few 2-4 programs in the country. you would apply for a prelim/transitional year at the same time you apply for em residency. the match (which itself is complicated to explain the algorithm) will allow you to rank both 1-3/4 and 2-4 programs. if you matched at a 2-4, then you will go into the match for a pgy-1 spot. basically, on match day you will know where you are going. you would not apply for em after doing your prelim year.

if you know anyone in radiology, derm, ophtho, neuro (among others) they are of the same format as pgy2-4 in terms of matching...

hope that helps.