Chicago Residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

feets22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the process of visiting various programs that I am interested in and was wondering if anyone has any insight on the residencies in the chicago area. I have read through the descriptions on the caspr website and none of them seem to jump out at me. I guess I would just like to know which ones are worth checking out and which ones should I stay away from.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently in the process of visiting various programs that I am interested in and was wondering if anyone has any insight on the residencies in the chicago area. I have read through the descriptions on the caspr website and none of them seem to jump out at me. I guess I would just like to know which ones are worth checking out and which ones should I stay away from.

If possible leave chicago alone:D Dont want any more competition here :).

Mt Sinai , Loyola and Rush are worth checking out.

Weiss Memorial and Advocate Illinois Masonic are also worth visiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Weiss Memorial and Advocate Illinois Masonic are also worth visiting.

Iam not 100% sure but i think Advocate Illinois Masonic only takes Scholl grads. i may be wrong. plzz double confirm.

As far as Chicago programs go, in my opinion they are all different variations of average.

Masonic - only takes Scholl students. First year at Cook County.

Westside VA (Jesse Brown) - tons of clinic your first year. I mean like 90 - 110 pts per day clinic. Tons of autonomy at this program. Usually take very intelligent residents. Decent academics, good attendings (Grady), residents definitely know their stuff. Anyone who attends this program will be very well trained.

North Chicago/St Joe - large program. Great rearfoot and reconstructive opportunities with Dr. Rodriguez and Dr. Bibbo. Program is expanding at North Chicago VA and should start seeing more trauma. One could make this a really good program if they put in the effort or they could coast by.

Rush - All that I know about this program are things that I have heard from other classmates so I cannot really comment. Some people liked it, others thought it was too much of a cakewalk.

Hines/Loyola - Solid program. Better than average academics. Attendings at this program really seem interested in teaching. If you do choose to extern here make sure you head over to Loyola at get time with Dr. Sage, as a student most time is spent at Hines VA.

Mercy - Definately a sleeper program in Chicago. They do not accept externs however one can set up a private practice month with some of their attendings.

Weiss/Oak Forest - I have no real idea about this place, however would not place it in the top 3 Chicago programs.

Mt. Sinai - Good director but the hospital only funds him part time. Little to no academics. Lots of clinic, lots of public aid patients. Very little elective cases.